My First Real Competition

Decorating By Rylan Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm by EvMarie

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 23

I'm planning on joining the San Diego Cake Show. It will be my first competition and I really have no idea what to expect. I feel so intimidated by looking at the pictures from the past years.

Anyways, I will be flying and will be checking parts of my cake in. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to package them safely (they will all be dummies of course).

Anyone have an experience with competition cakes being transported by plane?

At the same time, I'll use this as a chance to enjoy San Diego (it's my first time there) with my partner. I'll lean toward the vacation part so if I don't even place, I won't feel that bad.

22 replies
psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 23

No advice (I'm new to cake decorating) but I just wanted to say that I've seen your cakes and I think the competition should be worried. Your cakes are FANTASTIC! icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 23

Nope, but I wanted to say don't worry. You'll know you'll do fine.

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 23

I too have no advice on transporting, just wanted to wish you luck, you will blow them away, your cakes are awesome!

Rylan Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 23

Thank you for the wishes. It just get really nervous especially that this is my first. I'm not even sure if the cake will make it there without any problems. So any tips would be great.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 23

Well from what I've seen they do a majority of the work and travel with the cake assembled, as in driving to the competition. Your in Las Vegas and it's in San Diego, so thats not too bad of a drive if you take that route. They also finish up their detail work at the competition. And if I'm not mistaken, cause I know they did last year, ICES has a place you can go to, to do repairs if needed. If you gonna box them, I'm guessing lots of bubble wrap in a huge box with lots of peanuts...or you might call those styrofoam pieces popcorn, but you get my drift.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 23

Rylan, why don't you contact someone like Sylvia Weinstock? I know she travels with real cakes all the time, so I am sure she has some good ideas....and it can't hurt to ask!

I also agree, they better watch out, your cakes are breathtaking!! Good luck, and above all, have fun!

Rylan Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 23

Labellaflor, thanks for the tips. I was originally driving there but I had to switch plans. I was already thinking of the styrofoam peanuts but I was afraid that it would be too firm and might leave indentations to my fondant (my chocolate fondant takes a very long time to dry). I'm thinking of using cotton but I'm worrying about the lint getting through the darker fondant. I was wondering if there are any other ways I can package it. As for the detail work, I would finish some at the hotel.

Cindy, thanks a lot. I will contact her right now.

I wish I had that cake safe.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 23

Make sure you include a CLEAR acetate panel in your packaging - it helps if people can SEE all your hard work!

Doesn't matter how much you explain things sometimes people just need to SEE!

Shave your beard and don't dress like a drug-runner! icon_lol.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 23

Hey Ry, I do not have any advice on packaging, or shipping but I just wanted to say knock em dead.

Rylan Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 23

Pam, you are funny! Maybe when they see a cake inside the box, they will be more careful. Hehe.

Allison, hehehe thanks!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 23

You should pm Sugarshack. Sharon travels with cake dummies and they have been fine so maybe she could offer some advice. Good luck.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 23

When Fran and Nati (& Min) did their PC Madhatters course in Sydney - they had to fly back home to Melbourne and TWO of the cakes were DESTROYED going through the x-ray scanning device (no care was taken by airport staff) and they were tipped over on the conveyor.

Although ....thinking OUR airport security is a LOT more vigilant than in the US- I've had to nearly strip off going through to bloody stop that metal detector! hehe With both of my 20-something daughters laughing their heads off on the other side tossing out comments like..... "They just want to get you NA-KED Mum !! eeewww!!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:20am
post #14 of 23

Just make sure you post some pix of the cakes after it's all over. I know they'll be spectacular.

Rylan Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:00am
post #15 of 23

Donna, I contacted her but she is away right now. Thanks for the heads up.

Pam, can't believe that happened. Wow, I'll make sure everything is safe. I have no idea how airlines are nowadays, its been a while since I rode a plane.

Poohsmomma, I will. Thanks!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 5:59am
post #16 of 23

now i have NO experience in delivering cakes but could you maybe pad around the cake with some sheets of foam? Like not the hard stuff just a softer medium density foam and that way you won't get any dints on your cake and of course that will only work is you don't have awhole lot of small delicate details on the side that could break off. If you need to fill in some areas you could always cut up some of the foam which will be softer than the packaging peanuts.

Anyhoo not sure but just throwing it out there lol Good luck!

Rylan Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:40am
post #17 of 23

Elise, thank you for that tip! I didn't really think of that. Now, I'll be searching for those.

Thanks a lot Elise!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:52am
post #18 of 23

that's ok it's just cose recently i was thinking about packaging for a gumpaste figure i am going to make so i needed to make it really safe so decided to try to put it in a groove between 2 pieces of foam in a box and hopefully that will cushion it enough for no bit of it to get damaged or atleast minimize it while being posted.

You could maybe go down to a store that cut pieces of foam up for different sizes for different purposes cose that's what i am going to do soon and they would have lots of different densities to choose from and maybe might be able to help as well

icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 23

what about one of those clear cake boxes that someone invented. perhaps they could adapt it to have a small spike inthe bottom to go into the cake board to stop it shifting and a shorter spike that comes in from the top, since yours will be styrofoam and not able to push it all the way through. Then your cake would be centered and visible to everyone. You might even see if they would discount it and you can take lots of pictures for them on how the cake travels and fairs at the end. I agree your cake needs to be visible for anyone to take a little more care with it. good luck.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #20 of 23

I have no experience with cake packaging, but memory foam - like mattress toppers - might be a product to consider. It is firm yet cushy. But, if you can get your display there in good condition, you'll knock 'em dead in the competition thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:50am
post #21 of 23

Thank you everyone for all the tips! I really really appreciate the help.

THANK YOU!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #22 of 23

Just wanted to say good luck! I don't have any ideas on how to get your cake there safely but I'm learning alot from reading the posts that offer advise icon_smile.gif . Best of luck to you, can't wait to hear about your trip.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #23 of 23

Speaking of contacting someone...what about Duff? He's had episodes or maybe just one???.... where he travelled via plane with cake. Not sure if he's a generous fellow but maybe?

Oh - and I'm sure you've done this but what are the airline rules? Are there things to make it easier? Just a thought - Good Luck & don't forget to have a blast!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%