Edible Image ?

Decorating By lecrn Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 1:01am by icingimages

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 7

I'm planning on buying an edible image @ a local bakery & I've never worked with them before (kind of nervous).
The cake is for this Sat. If I pick the image up on Wed., will it stay fresh if I keep it in a ziplock bag?
The image will be placed on a crusting bc cake & would normally not need to be refrigerated. Does the cake need to be placed in the fridge or covered after the image is applied? Can it be placed on the cake the day before or will it dry out?
Also, what type of image is best to copy? The image that I have is just a color copy off the computer.
Thanks so much!!

6 replies
lecrn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 7

anyone, please?

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

I'm planning on buying an edible image @ a local bakery & I've never worked with them before (kind of nervous).
The cake is for this Sat. If I pick the image up on Wed., will it stay fresh if I keep it in a ziplock bag?
The image will be placed on a crusting bc cake & would normally not need to be refrigerated. Does the cake need to be placed in the fridge or covered after the image is applied? Can it be placed on the cake the day before or will it dry out?
Also, what type of image is best to copy? The image that I have is just a color copy off the computer.
Thanks so much!!

Yes it will stay fresh in the zip lock bag.

Does not need refrigerated, better not too - less risk of condensation.

Yes can be applied to the cake the day before. Does not dry out - it should mend with icing. If you icing is too dry (crusted) you will need to lightly mist it with water. And I do mean LIGHTLY and with a MIST - too much water will break down the image. Best is to apply to icing before it crusts.

The clearer and sharper the image the better. So off the computer is fine - but just be the sharpest picture possible that you can print. Colors on the image may not be as bright as in your picture.

hope this helps

lecrn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much. That helps a lot!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 7

Also, make sure that when you are storing the image that you turn it over so it is not in direct light. Depending on the ink/paper they are using, the light can fade or change the images colors.

lecrn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

Also, make sure that when you are storing the image that you turn it over so it is not in direct light. Depending on the ink/paper they are using, the light can fade or change the images colors.

Thanks. I didn't even think about it fading.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:01am
post #7 of 7

Once it is on the cake it is fine for the most part, since it has a moist backing. But you need to be careful before you place it on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%