Business Logo?

Business By littlelucy30 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 8:55pm by thecookieladycc

littlelucy30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlelucy30 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 12

Well, I'm finally legal-got business license, tax number a zoning approval. Just need to get an inspection from the dept of Agriculture. Now I'm looking to create a logo for my business. Have any of you done this?

I've been searching for images that I can use and have not been very successful. The logo-creating sites that I've visited so far have very plain and boring images. I found the perfect image (it's attached) on a stock photo website, but in their fine print, it states that you can't use the image for a logo.
Any advice?
TIA
LL

11 replies
thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 12

Take inspiration from that and make your own. I found a few images that I really liked and put them together and changed them around a bit with a photo editing program and made my own logo.

littlelucy30 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 12

I was thinking about that. What program did you use?

thecookieladycc Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 12

Microsoft Digital Image Editor

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #5 of 12

I have a college friend who is a fantastic graphic designer. We traded services, and the logo she made me KICKS A$$... I tried doing it myself ~ no go... but she was able to take my exact idea, and execute it perfectly on paper.

beckback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckback Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #6 of 12

Hi, I have done some logos. Always best to create your own (or have someone do it for you). If you are interested in some ideas let me know and I can also send you some of my work.
[email protected]

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #7 of 12

Oh, I have no advice but just like to read what others are saying. I am having an extremely hard time getting a logo!!

I tried someone through ebay...that didn't work out. I am bartering with another lady...the logos she's creating are fine...I am just not totally excited about them. And I think I should be totally excited about my logo, ya know? icon_rolleyes.gif

beckback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckback Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:35am
post #8 of 12

@mom2spunkynbug
YES! You should be completey estatic about your logo! Don't accept anything unless you are completely happy with it!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:53am
post #9 of 12

I know this is a long shot - but what about a college student? If you cannot afford to pay an experienced company/person, maybe you could contact an art school? Of course, I have no idea what you can afford - I'm always keeping short cuts in mind.

I'm not sure of the legalities or who/how you'd pick the person or design but just an idea. Maybe you could make it a contest? Have the whole class working on it? Ha!

I created a logo that is "in process" in the microsoft digital image program as well. It's nothing super fancy, but you can make shapes, manipulate photos, fonts, etc. Colors as well. I'm still working on the "sans" background function - seems tricky. I want to be able to lay it over top of anything and all you see is the logo...not the white background and the logo. DIY is definitely a bit frustrating.

Good Luck

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 12

Don't underestimate the value of bartering among friends! If you can trade artistic skills, then go for it! I offered to pay my friend for her services, and all she wanted was the "Drum Cake" in my photos for the funeral of one of her friends.

I also barter will a photographer friend of mine (her idea). She shoots incredible photos (obviously not the one's posted here...I did those).
...Hmmm, I wonder if I could trade a cake for 5 of the 72 acres she and her husband own? icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, "fair' bartering is underrated.

littlelucy30 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for all of your great tips! I'm seriously thinking about making a dummy cake similar to the image, taking a good pic and adding my name and website. What could be a better logo than my own work?

thecookieladycc Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:55pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelucy30

Thanks for all of your great tips! I'm seriously thinking about making a dummy cake similar to the image, taking a good pic and adding my name and website. What could be a better logo than my own work?

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%