Stacking Cake - 1St Time

Decorating By floral1210 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 11:05pm by christiemc

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 15

My question is about how I would stack a 6 in. round on a 12 in. square. The round cake is just really a design element. The 12 in will have some cornelli lacy, and a drawing will be on the smaller one, raised for emphasis.

Will I need to use dowels and a cake board under the round, or will a cake board alone work? I am really not sure how to go with this idea...

14 replies
tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 15

Yes, you will need dowels or bubble straws to support it and a cake board.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 15

Internal support (wooden or plastic dowels) must ALWAYS be used when stacking cakes. It is this internal support that is actually holding up the upper tiers, not the cake below.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 15

And it would be fabulous if we could get you started off on the right foot by using SPS. icon_smile.gif

sweet12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet12 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

And it would be fabulous if we could get you started off on the right foot by using SPS. icon_smile.gif

Im sorry, but what does 'SPS' stand for? Im trying so hard to keep up with posts and some of the short terminology i dont have down pat yet--LOL~ Thanks... (sorry, i feel like an idiot asking this question)

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 15

Leah -

Does the SPS go as part of the cake? Meaning, you don't ask for it back correct? And I imagine if you don't you include the price in the cakes bid price, right?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 15

Simple tutorial on how to stack a cake

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Simple tutorial on how to stack a cake

You use cardboard inder your cakes I noticed....SO any particular kind? I need to do a cake in buttercream (a few of them) and they want no visable boards or boarder between layers. I have done them with wooden boards for so long I have NO CLUE other than watching your video.....
So what boards do you use? and then the dowel goes through them all??

I would love to know because doing a few of my cake finishing on site has been a pain...I would love to do a few of them totally finished to deliver.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 15

There is a tutorial on how I do my buttercream. If you go to my website you can find bunches of tutorials.
www.designmeacake.com

I do my crumbcoat and the cake is on a cardboard covered on both sides with wax paper. I cut the cardboard to the size of the cake after I do my crumbcoat so it's not visible after I do my second coat.
Edna icon_smile.gif

janinybeany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janinybeany Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 15

How do you cut the cake board with the cake on it?

I've never done a stacked cake either so I want to learn the right way - Can I use those cardboard boards? do I cover them with something - or do I have to have those plastic ones?

tirby Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

There is a tutorial on how I do my buttercream. If you go to my website you can find bunches of tutorials.
www.designmeacake.com

I do my crumbcoat and the cake is on a cardboard covered on both sides with wax paper. I cut the cardboard to the size of the cake after I do my crumbcoat so it's not visible after I do my second coat.
Edna icon_smile.gif

I have watched MANY of your very very helpful tutorials (thanks for taking the time to make them).
Is what I was wondering, I guess , is the cardboard just regular single cake circles like Wilton makes? (covered in wax paper of course) or do you buy stronger ones somewhere. and are they all just a single sheet of cardboard or double or ?? Even for say 10" or 12 " or larger cakes.
Sorry so many questions (but if you want to learn to do something right. ask someone who is good at it)

christiemc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiemc Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:19pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

is the cardboard just regular single cake circles like Wilton makes? (covered in wax paper of course)

Why do you need to cover the circles in wax? I'm new to all of this, but haven't heard that yet. thanks![/quote]

tirby Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 15

christiemc.... if you are new I HIGHLY suggest you watch her tutorials!!! they are a big help

christiemc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiemc Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:05pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks- I did watch a few, and they were great! Her work is amazing and she makes it look so easy. but she didnt explain why you use the wax paper-do you use it on the one that the cake is placed directly on?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%