Best Medium For Making Decorated Display Cookies?

Baking By Cakepro Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 8:25pm by prterrell

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all ~

I need to make some decorated cookies to put on plates on display in my bakery.

I made a recipe of salt dough (2 c flour, 1 c salt, 1 c water) which worked great for rolling and cutting out the cookies, but they baked badly (puffy and lumpy). I baked them at 200 degrees F for half an hour or so, per the instructions on a salt dough ornament web site.

Does anyone have any better suggestions or recipe for long-lasting, FLAT display cookies that aren't real cookies?

Thanks!!
Sherri

11 replies
endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 12

Could you use Scuply clay or something similar? Not sure if it would work...

(Or maybe that Crayola magic clay stuff?)

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 12

Salt dough cookies. They look real and last forever. icon_biggrin.gif

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:14am
post #4 of 12

Why not just use regular sugar cookies? They will dry and look great for a while ! My brother still have one of my cookies that I made two years ago!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 12

I already tried salt dough with poor results.

I was hoping someone had a tried-and-true salt dough recipe and baking instructions so that the salt dough cookies don't have irregular, puffy surfaces. icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:33am
post #6 of 12

I stopped at a local baker that was opening a new shop. I asked about cookies, and they got out a huge box of real cookies, decorated, that were bagged and sealed. From what they said, they had had those samples for a while, and they still looked great!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 7:29am
post #7 of 12

I use real ones that are individually bagged. I've had some for 5-7 years and they are just fine for display purposes.

(Just keep them out of hot, direct sunlight....or the icing colours will fade and white turns a patchy ivory after a long time.)

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:02am
post #8 of 12

Antonia, how about doing them out of homemade playdough (which is basically a salt dough)? You'd have to let them air dry, not bake.

I don't have a copy of the recipe my mom always made for us. I'll email her for it, but it could take a few days.

In the meantime, here's a link that has 10 different recipes: http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-playdough-recipes/

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 12

My father-in-law has his Father's Day Cookies mounted in a shadow box in his workshop from a few years ago and my mother-in-law has several displayed on a shelf from quite some time ago. I have some that I made a few years ago as well. They are all heat-sealed, kept out of direct sunlight and have had no color fading or other issues. You might want to do real cookies. Just my thought.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 12

My sister still has a wedding cookie from our niece's wedding 5 years ago. We did regular sugar cookie, used Toba's glace, then royal trim and flowers on that - all bagged with a ribbon closure. It looks great.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Antonia, how about doing them out of homemade playdough (which is basically a salt dough)? You'd have to let them air dry, not bake.

I don't have a copy of the recipe my mom always made for us. I'll email her for it, but it could take a few days.

In the meantime, here's a link that has 10 different recipes: http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-playdough-recipes/

Those recipes look like fun...but wouldn't the regular icings we use react poorly to the extreme salt content in the cookies?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 12

I don't see why they would.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%