Sugarveil Help

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 2:30am by icingimages

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:41am
post #1 of 8

Can someone offer advice on how to use SugarVeil. I bought some to make a spider web for a cake. My first time using it. I mixed it according to the package directions and added black Americolor. I piped it out on wax paper but when I tried to get it off the paper the next morning, it cracked everywhere and I wasnt able to use any of it. Is there a trick to it? Thank you!

7 replies
julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:37am
post #2 of 8

You let it dry too long. I haven't tried it but I think you can cover it with a damp paper towel and it is supposed to become pliable.
Next time just let it sit until it is set or not tacky. It depends where you are located. It's approximately 15 minutes to 2 hours. It is fun.

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 8

I pipe mine out onto a silpat and it doesn't matter how long I let it sit, it comes off perfectly. You can check out my spider webs on my bounce house cake... Love the stuff!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 8

Make sure you lightly grease the mat with crisco. You can take some wet sugarveil and put it in a bag with the spiderweb and it put it in the refridgerator and it will come back to life. But it did overdry.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks all for the great answers, guys - here's a snippet to add in additon to these answers: I noticed, kakedreamer, that you were going for "black" SugarVeil color. For any intense or very dark color like this, use a dry powdered color and mix it into the dry powdered SugarVeil before adding water. SugarVeil is so white-white, it takes alot to get it black, so for this application powdered color is what you want to do.

For any other tints or less intense colors, gel or liquid color of any type is just fine. -emilyg

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for your advice. I had been looking forward to using it for such a long time and was very disappointed when my first attempt went bad. Going to follow these tips. Looking forward to my next attempt. Thanks again!

yevgenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yevgenia Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 1:46am
post #7 of 8

Hi ! Anybody knows sugarveil's recipe?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 2:30am
post #8 of 8

1 Cup Sugarveil, 1/3 plus 2 tablespoons of boiling water.
Make sure your water is rapidly boiling. Pour in to mixing bowl with SugarVeil Powder. Stir by hand to make sure SV is dampened, then mix on high speed for 3 minutes. You will see the SV starts out a yellowish color. It will turn more white as it mixes. Once it gets to the consistency of marshmallow fluff, it is done. It could take as little as 2 1/2 minutes depending on the speed of the blender. Be careful not to overblend. Be sure the surface you are working on is lightly greased with Crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%