Decorating By leah_s Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 7:52pm by all4cake

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:57am
post #31 of 59

7yyrt, THAT is awesome!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:00am
post #32 of 59

Evening ladies...working on a 3D "Pinewood Derby" car for Cub Scouts tomorrow. These, in real life, are small wooden cars the boys carve paint and race. It's being a real headache due to the humidity (west coast here dripping in humidity for a week) but I think I'm going to stop being so hard on myself and walk away for the night. I'm going to attempt to handpaint the windshield/lights tomorrow morning before delivery IF the buttercream will finally crust up. I don't know why it never occured to me that humidity would affect buttercream too. SIGH.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #33 of 59

I just finished mine for the evening. 3-d Lightning McQueen. Just posted the pics. Lots of fun and I think my cars get better as I go. Always enjoy seeing what everyone else is up to. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!

princelyess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princelyess Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #34 of 59

DefyGravity - I read one of your posts, and didn't notice your avatar. My daughter has this ... TATOOED on her!!! I'm just surfing CC, which I do for HOURS every night!!! trying to figure out my next "project" LOL and I just had a bowl of grits! I'm not from the south, but my dad is, and I saw them while grocery shopping in WalMart this week, and had to try them. Add a little brown sugar and heavy cream and they're oooooh so good! Have a good night everyone.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:19am
post #35 of 59

I haven't done a "proper" cake in a very long time. I think I'm hiatus -- that is, if you can be on "hiatus" when you only do this for family, and even then that's not very often.

I've been working on a frame and t-shirt business with a friend of mine, so I've been hunkered down in the garage in my "crafting corner".

As for tonight, I'm enjoying my last day off for a few days by relaxing and downloading music to my iPod. Any recommendations? I'll tell you what I've downloaded tonight to give you an idea of what I'm about:

Brand New's newest album "Daisy"
"Tiny Dancer"
"Bennie and the Jetts" (I know, I can't believe I didn't have these already, either!)
"21 Guns" - Green Day
"Run This Town" - Jay Z
"Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley
Kings of Leon
"Bad Romance" - Lady GaGa
"Shots" - LMFAO ( icon_redface.gif )
"Like a Prayer" - Madonna
Taking Back Sunday's newest album "New Again"

So, any suggestions? icon_biggrin.gif

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:22am
post #36 of 59

No cakes for me tonight. I am planning on doing a cake this weekend, so I can practice covering it with fondant. I just haven't been successful with it in the past, but I am determined to get it figured out. I want to do a "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs" cake. I found some pictures of the characters and I am still trying to figure out how to execute it. My grandson loves the movie, so I thought it would be a fun one to try. Of course, he calls it "Chancey with a cloud of meatballs."

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:33am
post #37 of 59

Hey folks,
Just cleaning up from a couple birthday cakes for friends' children, Iggle Piggle/In the Night Garden and Harry Potter, which needs some finishing touches in the a.m. Tomorrow is my first Thomas cake for my nephew, and a few dozen train cookies to boot. Ooh, made my first successful attempt at MMF and used it on the Iggle Piggle cake...jury is still out on whether I will continue to buy or attempt to make fondant icon_smile.gif Like having a consistent product, but the $$!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:39am
post #38 of 59

Okay, so I have my first set of transfers on the cake. I'd give them probably a B-. I touched them up a bit, and now they're probably at an A-. They don't look flat and smooth, but they *do* look like I have way more piping talent than I actually do, which I like!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully I'll have some pictures up in the morning.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:46am
post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

I haven't done a "proper" cake in a very long time. I think I'm hiatus -- that is, if you can be on "hiatus" when you only do this for family, and even then that's not very often.

I've been working on a frame and t-shirt business with a friend of mine, so I've been hunkered down in the garage in my "crafting corner".

As for tonight, I'm enjoying my last day off for a few days by relaxing and downloading music to my iPod. Any recommendations? I'll tell you what I've downloaded tonight to give you an idea of what I'm about:

Brand New's newest album "Daisy"
"Tiny Dancer"
"Bennie and the Jetts" (I know, I can't believe I didn't have these already, either!)
"21 Guns" - Green Day
"Run This Town" - Jay Z
"Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley
Kings of Leon
"Bad Romance" - Lady GaGa
"Shots" - LMFAO ( icon_redface.gif )
"Like a Prayer" - Madonna
Taking Back Sunday's newest album "New Again"

So, any suggestions? icon_biggrin.gif

Gotta getcha some Etta James on there and Queen oh and don't forget Beastie Boys!
Ever heard Allison Crowe's version of Hallejuah ?

adree313 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:56am
post #40 of 59

OH Beastie Boys! DUH!

Queen's already on my iPod, of course! icon_smile.gif

I haven't heard Allison Crowe's version, I'll check it out.

Thanks!

all4cake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:03am
post #41 of 59

Aretha Franklin's R-E-S-P-E-C-T and Think (Freedom)...CCR's I heard it through the grapevine...Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror...Cat Steven's Morning has broken...BTO's You ain't seen nothin' yet...TLC's Unpretty...Whitney Houston's I'm Every Woman...Diana Ross's Theme from Mahogany...anything AC/DC...

(I can't tell what you're about by your list...I ain't good at making connections)

all4cake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #42 of 59

Boyz II Men's One Sweet Day...Evanescence's My Immortal...

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:11am
post #43 of 59

Really?? I just went to Sam's today and got a tub of Bettercreme. I find they don't "want" to sell me stuff so they always say I need to "order" whatever I want. Then they never call me when it comes in. Now I just go to pick up my stuff on their main delivery day.

I have to commend you cakers with kids. I'm still on the same two 10" cakes from earlier. Baby keeps waking up for no reason. Still have two to go. I might have to give this up. I'm exhausted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2cakes2

Hi all I'm just browsing tonight getting some ideas for the next three weeks of cakes. I went to Sams today to pick up somecake boards and was told that they can't sell any cake supplies from the bakery anymore has anyone else had this happen? Also maybe Leah can answer a question I posted in the forum but didn't get any answers from can I mix fondant and modeling chocolate and if so what is the benefit? I thought I heard Buddy on say he was doing that on a cake this past show and was just wondering about it.

adree313 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:20am
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Aretha Franklin's R-E-S-P-E-C-T and Think (Freedom)...CCR's I heard it through the grapevine...Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror...Cat Steven's Morning has broken...BTO's You ain't seen nothin' yet...TLC's Unpretty...Whitney Houston's I'm Every Woman...Diana Ross's Theme from Mahogany...anything AC/DC...

(I can't tell what you're about by your list...I ain't good at making connections)

Thanks! I have most of those, though not too into AC/DC.

I know my list was kind of random, sorry. icon_smile.gif I'm kind of random when it comes to my music and movies lol.

I just did most of Madonna's greatest hits and Pat Benatar's. A few Tina Turner's.

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:26am
post #45 of 59

catlharper do your kids attend CCS? Just curious because I think our pinewood derby is tomorrow as well.

Just finished my first 4 tiered cake!! Yippee. Turned out way bigger than expected but I know my friend is going to be very excited over it. I am very happy with the results.

[/img]http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1564128

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:29am
post #47 of 59

StaceyCakes...nope he does not attend CCS. But yup, I think it's a popular date for the Derby. This is our third year so he's hoping to beat last years placement of 9th. Keep your fingers crossed!

Good luck for yours tomorrow!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:31am
post #48 of 59

Good night, ladies! This old lady's going to bed... Image

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:48am
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

did a toilet cake today LOL!!! client is so excited to see it tomorrow .

I also did a toilet cake tonight...with poop cupcakes to go with. Also did a purple 50th birthday cake with daisies...kinda a boring cake but at least the toilet was fun! Off to bed for me

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:52am
post #50 of 59

Surfin' CC.
Workin' on my menu for the Super Bowl Party we're throwing.
Mentally planning my upcoming cakes:
+ "birthday" cake for St. Brigid for her feast day (my church's chapeter of the Daughters of the King is the St. Brigid chapter--we're having our annual informational meeting/new member drive on 1/31 directly following the 10:30 mass, and I'm in charge of providing a luncheon)
+ Adam's 2nd birthday cake
+ birthday cake for my friend Kristi
+ cake/dessert for above mentioned Super Bowl (might do football shaped cookies)

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #51 of 59

all4cake--love your rose cake cake!!! So pretty. I really need to find time to practice roses. It's gorgeous!!!
Aquamom

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #52 of 59

Blessings

Surfing CC and practicing my first belly cake. So far, so good! thumbs_up.gif

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:58pm
post #53 of 59

Wow! Those flowers are beautiful! That must have taken forever to do all of them.

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #54 of 59

SET MY SELF UP FOR MY BANY SHOWER CAKE NEXT WEEKEND (MY OLDEST SON & HIS WIFES FIRST) MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT CONVERSE SNEAKERS AND BASEBALL CAP CANT WAIT!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #55 of 59

I don't use a lot of modeling chocolate any more. In fact I'm not sure if I've used any since culinary school . . . Anyway, I'd think that you'd mix fondant and modeling chocolate to get the best of both products - flexibility of fondant and stability of modeling chocolate.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:13pm
post #56 of 59

Here's how it turned out: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1564354

I'm pretty happy with it icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm
post #57 of 59

aquamom & korensmommy, thank you very much!

Mixing all the colors (went from white to yellow to yellow-orange to orange to red-orange to red...then, did the same with the blue-purple then the pink) and making the roses ( I made about a hundred of 'em) using tips 104 and 124 took about 45 minutes at most...piped roses are probably the ONLY thing I can do fast though. I was timed when I worked for Sam's...11 seconds per tip 104 rose...I've slowed down considerably.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:40pm
post #58 of 59

I would love to know your secret! I never make buttercream roses anymore because they turn out looking like squashed cabbages!

all4cake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:52pm
post #59 of 59

I was hellbent on making a decent rose and about 25 years ago, after squeaking my way around them for so long, I went on a rose making tangent. I made icing and practiced on roses for almost 3 months straight. Then, one turned out (it was quite like learning to whistle using your fingers...keep practicing...making subtle adjustments until you find the move that produces sound/a rose). I had the pictures in front of me and for what seemed like an eternity, what I was making did NOT, even remotely resemble those images. After I hit it, every cake I made had freakin' roses on it! LOL...Red Power Ranger cake with roses! haha...that one was too funny(looking back anyway)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%