There's Always Drama!

Decorating By evbunt Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 4:08am by all4cake

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:00am
post #1 of 9

Okay, it seems that every time I do one of these cakes something wrong happens...I know it always works out (like when my cakes overflowed and we couldn't get our smoke detectors off for an hour!), so I shouldn't be surprised that I screwed up, again!

I am doing a large Thomas the Train cake, I have an 11 x 15, a 3 layer 10" round and a 3 layer 6" round that I have just filled and crumb coated. My husband is out of town, kids are asleep (small children) and I just realized that I bought freezer paper instead of foil yesterday when I realized I was out. The cake is for Sunday, I was going to carve and ice and decorate it tomorrow, but I usually tent it well with foil...can I use plastic wrap? or the freezer paper? (not sure how) With already doing the crumb coat, not sure about having cling wrap or anything touching it...

There is a reason I only do this for fun...I absolutely love it, but I don't problem solve so well when it comes to these cakes! Appreciate your help!

8 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 9

Use the freezer paper...since it's soooooooo wide...and make a teepee type shape...

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 9

I think that if you allow your cake icing to crust a bit, then you can carefully lay your plastic wrap over it - or if you freezer is large enough, can you put the layers in boxes? Hope this helps, orrrrrr, now that I think on it more, go ahead and put the cakes in the freezer and let them harden a bit, then once you cover with the plastic wrap, there is no risk of damage. Then, as soon as you pull them out of the freezer, pull that wrap right off so it doesn't stick. : ) Happy Friday!

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:15am
post #4 of 9

If its just the crumb coating icing, then you can wrap with plastic wrap and tuck it real good all around the sides. It won't matter if it marks up the crumb coating, because you are going to ice over it anyway. The plastic wrap will keep it protected way better than the freezer paper. You could refrigerate it, it would help to make it a little firmer when you do ice it.

evbunt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:20am
post #5 of 9

This is when I get confused...so leave it out if I use the freezer paper on the counter, or freezer with plastic wrap? I'm a little slow...if I do the freezer, do I leave it in there overnight with the plastic wrap on? And then how long do I need to wait tomorrow to ice it and begin decorating?

Thanks you guys! I wish I had more experience or confidence to not be afraid to try things! I can do it with cooking but with baking I'm so afraid to get a dry cake...I get so many compliments on the flavor and moistness I'm afraid to mess up!

evbunt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramacake

If its just the crumb coating icing, then you can wrap with plastic wrap and tuck it real good all around the sides. It won't matter if it marks up the crumb coating, because you are going to ice over it anyway. The plastic wrap will keep it protected way better than the freezer paper. You could refrigerate it, it would help to make it a little firmer when you do ice it.

This is probably a dumb question, but do I wrap it "snug" under the cake circle or under the cake itself? Is fridge better than freezer then?

all4cake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #7 of 9

Unless I'm using perishable fillings, I leave mine on the counter, unwrapped overnight. Then, proceed with the final coat and decorating...or in your case...carving, crumbcoating again, final icing, then decorating.

evbunt Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:03am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Unless I'm using perishable fillings, I leave mine on the counter, unwrapped overnight. Then, proceed with the final coat and decorating...or in your case...carving, crumbcoating again, final icing, then decorating.

OK, that works! That is the easiest! It's BC filling, so I should be okay I guess. I'll teepee with the freezer paper to protect it from any flying "germs" and that'll be it.

Case closed, I'm going for simple! THANK YOU

all4cake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:08am
post #9 of 9

That is only if it's had an initial crumbcoat (you already said these did...just want to clarify for future purposes icon_smile.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%