Veg Oil Vs. Canola Oil

Baking By chefdot Updated 30 Jul 2017 , 2:16pm by -K8memphis

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:43am
post #1 of 13

In cakes... can I use canola oil instead of vegetable oil? It's just a boxed cake mix but I just ran out and only have canola in the house.

12 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:45am
post #2 of 13

Canola is a specific vegetable oil, so you can certainly make your cake using it. icon_smile.gif

HTH

chefdot Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #3 of 13

yay! Thanks! I didn't see what would be a huge difference. So like in color even too.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:53am
post #4 of 13

I use almost exclusively canola (because that's what I have in the house) and it always turns out fine!
icon_smile.gif
HTH!

chefdot Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 13

I just tasted it and it's yummy! Thanks guys!

Michaelfern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michaelfern Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 7:15am
post #6 of 13

Great! Just in case anyone out there is looking for as to which oil makes for a healthier cooking oil option, I'd suggest canola oil which has lesser saturated fats and is a better option for frying owing to the fact that it can stand high heat without burning. 

Michaelfern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michaelfern Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 7:17am
post #7 of 13

You can also check the descriptive comparison of the two oils in terms of nutritional values and health benefits here

Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 13

I also use avocado oil instead of vegetable oil and it substitutes perfectly

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 13

In a discussion on another site, one of the ladies was incapacitated and her son made the cake for her.  Not knowing any different, he used olive oil instead of regular vegetable or canola oil.  Turns out it was a happy mistake because the cake turned out beautifully.  I have since tried olive oil - always previously used either canola or vegetable - and it turned out the same as with the others.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 13

I just cann't justify the price for oilve oil - 3X more than corn or canola :(    My daughter really got all over my case recently for using canola - insisting oilve was the *ONLY!* one to use :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 13

I am not a food snob in any shape, form or fashion, so I will probably never use olive oil again in cake.  It wasn't better or worse, taste and texture wise.  I have been using canola oil for many years, but now the food police is saying it's not good for you either.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 11:26am
post #12 of 13

FYI, for many years it's been reported that olive oil (a billion dollar industry) is frequently mislabeled. After much investigation, and realizing how fluid truth can be, I decided to stick with vegetable oil. A story from the Olive Oil Times and another from 60 Minutes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2017 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 13

who knows -- i think all of them are fine in cake -- no worries -- i saw that olive oil story too --

but my little thing with oils is that certain ones are better and worse for thyroid "they" say -- so i try to stick to olive for the most part for myself --

off topic a bit but -- and nearly all the commercial salad dressings are made with non-olive oil especially soy oil -- even the ones with olive oil on the label often will have two other types of oil listed on the ingredients list -- so that way the olive oil will actually be the least amount of oil used but still listed first on the label -- because the other two kinds are each less in quantity than the olive oil but combined they are a greater quantity -- example -- 4 ounces olive oil, 3 ounces canola oil, 3 ounces soy oil so there's less olive oil overall but it can still be listed first kwim -- gagh --

and of course for newbie label readers, the ingredients are listed in order of the most first -- the least last --

i'm an avid label reader but -- it's a crap shoot nonetheless

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%