Not Inspired In The Least! Help

Decorating By tesso Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm by funwithsugar

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 6

first off... let me say that there are extremely talented cake artists on this site and it has been a pleasure looking at all these cakes. and I have looked at hundreds today !!

sister is getting married in april.. she says oh whatever you want to make is fine..surprise me...so I am craming for ideas..i finally settle on one..and then she calls me today and says...we decided that we want a UK (university of kentucky) color themed cake.. okay..white and royal blue... And now I am stumped..

I am not a UK fan..(even though I live in the state and they will come gunning for me for saying that). I dont find the color theme inspring at all !! Those colors are everywhere you look. I am sick to death of them. (no more whining, i promise) I have made dozens of sketches of layouts..finally decided on one ..round/ square stack..then a round tier..then a square round stack. and now have NO idea what to do with it.. as far as decorating.. I AM NOT DOING LIVE FLOWERS THIS TIME... that's all I know for sure.

she says she wants something fun. energetic. hyper. (I told her to get a jack russell.) icon_lol.gif Then I ran here to be inspired.

5 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #2 of 6

How about a royal blue cake with white accents, like flower's or if she want it energetic maybe you could incorporate the team logo, mascot etc...

HTH

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 6

Maybe you could take a look at the black & white gallery and just imagine they are black and blue instead.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1553565

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1536174

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1534398

Of course, topsy turvy and zebra stripes are pretty funky and hyper too.

Your Jack Russell comment cracked me up. icon_lol.gif

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:50am
post #4 of 6

I did a wedding cake that was themed, based on the couple's life. The bottom tier was PITT, middle tier was University of North Carolina, the top tier had dog prints wrapped with a lease along with their furry "kids" on the cake, topped with a whimsical scultpure of the couple at a 50's sock hop (favorite hobby). I just thought of this when you mentioned Kentucky colors... which my hubby is from Kentucky. I have tons of royal blue and white sweatshirts, thanks to the family back home!! (I'm from and we live in PA). Back to the post..... just an idea if your sister was looking for something WAY different for wedding cake. I have made a few "Story of Us" cakes, as I call them since they are very personal to the couple. I am going to try to post the picture here.... cross fingers!!
~ Jaime
LL

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #5 of 6

thank you so much, for the inut and pics.. I love that pitt cake! But the middle cake glitz and glamour just might fill the bill !!! I can feel the creative juices slugishly starting to move.. off to look at black and white cakes..(might as well get a jump start on that too...niece is getting married in june..colors...black and white.. hey.. i can slice two cakes with one spatula... icon_lol.gif

that was supposed to say imput..not inut

funwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funwithsugar Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 6

What about doing a stacked round, use plaid fondant accent swags from top to bottom and then doing their cake topper with their initials done UK font style? Plaid seems to be the schools new thing. They have pictures of some bags that actually look pretty nice. If you had a fountain, you could tint the water blue as well. Shell border could have a bag loaded with multiple colors for a plaid look border. Just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%