Kids Cake Flavors??

Decorating By jimjessglenn Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 10:32pm by fruitsnack

jimjessglenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimjessglenn Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 17

im new to all of this..the forum and cake decorating. I only make cakes as a hobby and usually just for the little ones in my family.

I am hoping to get away from the basic cake flavors and try new ones. Any suggestions for flavors that kids would love??

16 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 17

I asked my kids, and they said maybe strawberry or coconut? They also like caramel and banana together, like a banana split.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 17

I get a lot of requests for my cookies and cream cake for kids parties. It's basically a double chocolate cake with cookies and cream buttercream filling iced in chocolate ganache.

Another favorite is reeses peanut butter cake/filling. Kids love chocolate and peanut butter together.

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 17

I've tried different things and I have found that kids usually either want vanilla, chocolate, or marble. I have a double choclate fudge cake that is popular. To make the vanilla cake more fun, I will often color the batter with the birthday girl or boys favorite color. I am also going to try throwing in some chocolate chips to the vanilla cake for my daughters birthday. I always put them in my chocolate cake and the kids love them so I thought I'd see how it goes with the chocolate chips in the vanilla cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I asked my kids,

that's my suggestion also. You may be surprised to find they actually LIKE plain 'ole white or chocolate cake! icon_rolleyes.gif

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 17

Kids in my family always request white cake with "that sprinkled filling". I mix some of those multi-colored candy coated mini chocolate chips into the buttercream filling. There's only one child that always requests chocolate cake with buttercream.

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 17

My daughter's birthday is coming up and she requested triple chocolate fudge cake with marshmellow buttercream.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 17

I have always wanted to try this recepi, someone on cafemom gave it to me. I apologize if it belongs to someone in here. I was passed along to me.

You can try yellow or white cake with ................

Oreo cookie filling
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup congections sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
20 Oreos crushed into medium size pieces
In large bowl add the cream,sugar and vanilla. mix at high speed until it is stiff consistancy. Fold in the cookie pieces

Ive never tried it so would love some input (meaning sweetness and texture ) frm. someone who has tried it or something similar.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 17

I don't have my list with me, but some of the kids flavors on my list:

Childs Play - White cake and vanilla frosting, with colorful sprinkles in the childs favorite colors spread throughout

Monkey - Banana cake, peanut butter fudge filling, chocolate fudge frosting

Chocolate covered Strawberry - strawberry cake with chocolate filling

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 17

Pink Vanilla. I use the WASC recipe, but substitute pink vanilla cotton candy sugar for the regular sugar. This would probably work with other cotton candy sugar flavors too, but haven't had a chance to experiment yet.

funwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funwithsugar Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 17

Try using Watermelon or Bubble Gum or Cotton Candy Loran Oil flavorings. Especially if you have to use fondant. Watermelon and a strawberry cake are YUMMY!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 17

My nephew loves coffee. It's been his favorite since he was about four.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 17

Rainbowlicious!

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #14 of 17

Most of the kids in my family won't eat anything fancy. They like vanilla, lemon, chocolate and strawberry. If I colour the cake or icing they always check to see if it's been flavoured before they'll eat it. I even have a young cousin who'll refuse to eat any cake if it has sprinkles on it!
For my son's 1st birthday I did an chocolate mud cake with chocolate ganache. The adults loved it but the kids didn't. I had been so concerned with keeping the adults happy with a "grown up" flavour that I forgot the littlies would have been happy with "simple" a vanilla cake. Next year will be different!

Kids tend to like things to be simple. I think as adults we forget they have different tastes to us.
xox

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:57am
post #15 of 17

My daughters' favorites are chocolate, chocolate, and well, chocolate!!!!

My 5 year old will try new flavors, and enjoys them, but the 3 year old, it's chocolate or nothing for her.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:18am
post #16 of 17

For my son's third birthday I made a PB and J cake. Vanilla cake with a peanut butter infused white chocolate mousse and strawberry jam. It was really good, no leftovers at all.

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 10:32pm
post #17 of 17

I just baked MacsMom's root beer flavored cake (from the gourmet flavors thread / google doc) for my son's 6th birthday, and it was a *huge* hit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%