Clear Shiny Glaze

Decorating By sisvegas Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 5:39am by sisvegas

sisvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisvegas Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 4

I relly do not know how to descripe this but here goes. I recently went to a bakery and noticed that some on the cakes had a nice clear shiny glaze on top usually covering fruit. Does anyone know how to do this? Please help Thanks in advance

3 replies
loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 4

erm, dont hold me to this, but i think it is confectioners glaze which can be brought from a cake shop which is an edible liquid that dries shiney and smells horrible, but on the fruit it might of be boiled jam. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 4

Taken from the site diana'sdesserts.com

Glaze for Fruit Pies and Tarts

You can make a clear glaze to brush over your open-topped fruit pies and tarts after baking to give the fruit a nice shiny look.

Clear Glaze

Ingredients

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 cup water or fruit juice (such as clear apple juice)

2 tbsp. corn starch

2 tbsp. corn syrup

Instructions

Bring sugar to a boil with half of the water or fruit juice. Dissolve cornstarch in the other half of water or fruit juice and add to the sugar mixture. Cook, stirring until mixture thickens and clears. Stir in corn syrup. Bring to a boil then remove from heat. Cool before brushing over the top of fruit.
Another Glaze Option

The glaze on most fruit tarts is simply jelly that is melted and allowed to set up once it has been brushed on. Strawberry or currant jelly gives fruit toppings a rosy blush as well as a sparkling finish. If you don't want the rosy tone, use a peach or apricot jelly. Using a pastry brush, brush glaze over fruit to edge of pastry.

sisvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisvegas Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:39am
post #4 of 4

Thanks again for the rapid response

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%