Well, I'm Officially A Cake Snob!

Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 1:39pm by joyfullysweet

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 15

So, my husband and I were at the grocery store on our way to a friend's house. He decided we should get something sweet to take along. He then proceeded to head to the *gasp* bakery section of the grocery store.

After looking at all the "cake wrecks", I can't even look at a grocery store cake in the same way! lol

14 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 15

Welcome to the club!

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 15

icon_biggrin.gif My hubby won't even look at the bakery section anymore & absolutely refuses to even eat "store bought" cookies, much less cake!

Cake Wrecks has given me a new prespective on the world of cake, too!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 15

I'm a proud cake snob! Heck even my kids are! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 15

i always browse grocery bakery showcases... i just lurve to point out the finger prints or *gasp* dusty 3 week old cakes. Call it mean but honestly the cakes look like they have sitting out there for weeks.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 15

I've been called a cake snob before because I bake only from scratch (eventhough I have nothing against mix bakers) ...Whatever icon_rolleyes.gif

As for bakeries in grocery stores: I honestly think they do the best they can with the amount of time and resources they (the workers) have. My mother's best friend works in a major grocery store bakery in town and very little time to to ice and decorate cakes. I don't worry too much about it or feel the need to put down their work. It's just the way it is... icon_smile.gif

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 15

I think I'm a member of the club, too. I just realized it the other day. I have brought in so many cakes to work over the years that whenever someone brings in a cake, it's assumed that it's mine. Recently someone brought in a couple of cakes on a large cookie sheet, another day it was some dessert on a plastic plate from a grocery store. People were assuming it was mine even though I have always brought in cakes on a plate or a cake board. Hey, I have standards! No more cake for them! icon_rolleyes.gif
I won't eat store bought baked goods, either.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 15

This past weekend I opened up a tub of DH Cream Cheese frosting ... used to be my favorite ... licked a spoonful and blecch! Dub me a cake snob ... it tasted chemically. Scratch icing from now on!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:10am
post #9 of 15

I think it really depends on the grocery store bakery. Not all of them are Cake-Wrecky. I usually shop at Publix and I am always impressed at how good everything there looks. But if I run into Kroger or Food Lion or BJ's (I avoid Wa-mart like the plague)--blech!

joyfullysweet Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #10 of 15

lol This was a "sav-a-center"...they can't even spell "save" right, can you imagine what the cakes look like!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:42am
post #11 of 15

I've had some decent cakes from grocery stores. Definitely not home baked but decent enough for a 10 year old boy's BD and I even had a second piece...but I must say I do love cake and icing...all different kinds. I think there is a place for that sort of thing. Not everyone wants to pay or can afford a custom creation. As pp said "it is what it is".

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:54am
post #12 of 15

My hubby is the same way. WHen a cake is brought in to his office (grocery store sheet cake), he takes a piece, but says he always throws it away. "I can't believe I used to love those things!" he tells me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

This past weekend I opened up a tub of DH Cream Cheese frosting ... used to be my favorite ... licked a spoonful and blecch! Dub me a cake snob ... it tasted chemically. Scratch icing from now on!

Oh I so know the feeling! When my kids were little, I used the refrigerated cookie dough (choc chip) ALL the time and I loved those. About a year ago, the grandkids spent the night and I just didn't want to make a scratch batch of choc chips, so I bought the roll of dough.

Oh. My. God. icon_eek.gif I actually spit it out. Nastiest thing I'd had cross my taste buds in a long time! How did I eat them for so many years!? icon_lol.gif

(Although I can still eat the canned choc fudge icing by the spoonful! But I'm not biased .... I also eat my scratch choc icing by the spoonful, too! icon_biggrin.gif )

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:07am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfullysweet

So, my husband and I were at the grocery store on our way to a friend's house. He decided we should get something sweet to take along. He then proceeded to head to the *gasp* bakery section of the grocery store.

After looking at all the "cake wrecks", I can't even look at a grocery store cake in the same way! lol

I'm sooooo proud of you! icon_biggrin.gif That's the first thing I tell my cake 101 students -- If I've done my job correctly, y'all will become serious cake snobs! icon_lol.gif Funny thing, last class I taught, the gal came in the second night of class and told the story of her and her boyfriend at Costco looking at the cakes when she said "my teacher said I would become a cake snob, I just didn't think it would happen after the first class!" thumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 5:41am
post #14 of 15

As founder and President of the Cake Snob Club, I proudly welcome you all.

joyfullysweet Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:39pm
post #15 of 15

I just can't believe what I've been missing out on all this time! Someone brought in a grocery store cake to school the other day, and I decided to try it. Yuck! What a difference! I'll never be the same again...lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%