Dowel Rod For Stacked Cake

Decorating By sherry-o Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm by Danielle1218

sherry-o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry-o Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a stacked clown cake, a 9 inch layer cake, a 8 inch layer cake, and a ball cake. I need to travel with it assembled, so I need to try putting a dowel rod through the center of the cake. How thick should the rod be?? How do I sharpen the point?? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!

3 replies
RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 4

I would say atleast a 1/4 inch. You can use a sander to sharpen, a utility knive works too, or pre poke your wholes and you wont have to sharpen.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 4

I use 1/4" dowels and sharpen the end with a pencil sharpener that hasn't been used for any pencils. The reason that you want it sharpened is that you want to hammer it down through the bottom board too.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 4

I had this same question a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe how easy it is.

I bought a 1/2 dowel, sharpened with a cheap little kiddie pencil sharpener and then I hammered it through 4 layers of cake and 3 pieces of foam board. I was scared to death when I did it.........but it really works. I couldn't believe how sturdy the cake was and how easily it went through all the cake and foam.

I highly recommend this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%