Tylose??

Decorating By ikklejo Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 9:06am by Cake4ever

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 6

I get confused sometimes as alot of the products in the us are called different things or we cant get here so just wondered if anyone can tell me if 'tylose' is the same as 'cmc' we use for hardening fondant to use for things such as modeling????

Thanks

5 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 6

Sounds like it is the same. That is what I use the tyclose for ...to harden fondant. Have been known to put it in my gumpaste to help dry faster.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 6

Yes tylose and CMC are the same thing. Tylose is a brand name.

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 6

ah brill thanks icon_smile.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 8:25am
post #5 of 6

annoying question.. but where on earth can i find some? I live in australia and am having an absoloutley HORRIBLE time trying to find it. Have tried catering shops, craft shops, general kitchen gadget stores.. everything.. and still no luck! also no powdered food colouring? lol... its resulting in some disastors.. ie.. for my sons first birthday i made him a cake with some animal fondant figures.. for some reason they ended up melting.. even though i had frozen them.. grrr. keen to try sugarpaste flowers but not till i can track this magical ingredient down!!!

thanks.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:06am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikklejo

I get confused sometimes as alot of the products in the us are called different things or we cant get here so just wondered if anyone can tell me if 'tylose' is the same as 'cmc' we use for hardening fondant to use for things such as modeling????

Thanks

YES, it is the same thing. I have a bottle of tylose in my hands and the ingredients say "CMC and dextrin".

I use tylose in my homemade sugarpaste/gumpaste all the time for my classes here in the UK.

It works wonderfully as a bonding glue as well, when assembling sugarpaste flowers. I put 1/8th of a teaspoon and mix with 3 to 4 tablespoons rosewater and leave it for 24 hours to dissolve in the fridge. You can use it in varying strengths, just add more tylose to make it thicker. I find I like it a bit less than syrup consistency. My instructor uses boiled water, which works okay, but I find I like the rosewater scent and since it is distilled, so I don't have to worry about using boiled water. I should say the rosewater I get here in the UK is clear, I don't know how it comes in other countries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%