Getting Licensed?

Business By CruzinCupcakes Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm by DelectabilityCakes

CruzinCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CruzinCupcakes Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:09am
post #1 of 7

So I would LOVE to be able to sell my cupcakes...nothing major maybe for kids parties etc. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this? Can you sell food items baked if your home or do they have to be made in a commercial kitchen...I'm in California if that matters? Thanks so much !!!


6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:18am
post #2 of 7

..moving to Business Forum. icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:47am
post #3 of 7

It may depend on your county - I know CC has a lot of California bakers, so hopefully they will chime in and help. You should call your health department.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:54am
post #4 of 7

Yup. You need a commercial kitchen in California. I'm pretty sure no matter where in California, since it is all one food code for the state. Different counties interpret little things differently, but I was told by two different counties that the commercial kitchen thing is statewide.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah... from what I know, it varies from county to county if you can have a separate commercial kitchen on your property, but everyone needs to have the fully commercial kitchen. And most counties will not allow you to have a kitchen on your property. Has to be in a commercially zoned district. There is absolutely no residential licensing in the state.

We were looking into moving to Cali for a while so I was doing some research.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 7

From what at the CA CCers say on here, CA must be the strictest state in the country!

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 7

I would read the main topic on the Business forum which is states that license at home bakers and while your state may not be covered it will tell you which department's website you need to look into as far as rules, regulations, contacts, etc.

Always read what's around you b/c there's a lot of information to take under your belt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%