What Do You Do?

Decorating By actionmcjaxon Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 4:32am by indydebi

actionmcjaxon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
actionmcjaxon Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:45am
post #1 of 5

What do YOU do when someone cancels the order for a cake?
Like what do you do when it's two weeks ahead? One week? 2 or 3 days?

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 5

Many people require a non-refundable deposit (often 50%, sometimes less) in order to book a cake (although, depending on circumstances, the owner *may* allow that deposit to be transferred to a future order). Most require the cake to be paid in full at least a week in advance, sometimes 2 or 3 weeks. Usually a cancellation policy is included in the contract signed by the customer. This often stipulates how much, if any, of the money will be refunded, and under what time-frame and circumstances. There's really a huge difference in an order being cancelled two weeks out (when nothing is going to have been done on the order yet, except maybe ordering of non-perishable supplies that can always be applied to other orders and which will be covered by the deposit) and an order being cancelled two days before it is due, when there is a good chance that the cake is at least baked and iced and that any gumpaste work will have at least been started.

sweet-n-sassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-n-sassy Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #3 of 5

i think it would depend on how much work i had done already...if i had gumpaste flowers done before they cancled i would definatly charge for them.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:31am
post #4 of 5

A 2 day cancellation will result in a complete loss of money. Of course, this is always to the individuals discretion. If a 2 weeks notice is given, a refund minus the deposit and minus any other related expenses, will be given. I prefer to make gumapste flowers ahead of time, but I'm not willing to take a loss of them with just a two week notice. But as always, to your discretion. I just like to put actual policy in writing.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #5 of 5

I didn't take deposits for non-wedding cakes under $100 and never had a problem.

But I did have a couple of weddings cancel. MONTHS before the wedding. And according to the contract, there was no refund.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%