Help Making Edible Rocks

Decorating By jleigh982 Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 8:23pm by milkmaid42

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 8

so the cake that im doing is for an avid rock climber and I am making a "mountain". on the mountain there is a figure man made of fondant going up the mountain. problem is...i need rocks. lots of rocks. iam making fondant ones to go along the bottom but on the mountain i wanted to make something a bit more realistic but still edible....possibly made with sugar...any ideas??? trust me anything right now would be great cause im stumped!

7 replies
therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 8

hi, I can get bulk chocolate candy coated rocks in a bulk food store.. usually $6-7 dollars a pound.. pricey but look great.. hope this helps...

cplfernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cplfernandez Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 8

I've only made fondant rocks. I have a cake in my pictures that shows them. If you want to make a bunch of small ones you could probably roll out a really thin "snake" of fondant cut it into 1/8 in pieces and then toss around in a bowl with some powdered sugar. This will soften the edges and dull them out. HTH

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 8

Maybe you can use rice crispy.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 8

I made lots of rocks for a mountain biking cake - it really didn't take long at all, and it was a great way to use up some scraps of colored fondant. I sat and made them while I watched TV.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 8

I had a bag of very lumpy powdered sugar, so I took the bigger lumps and airbrushed them gray/black. They looked just like rocks and were very simple/cheap to make!

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 8

ok so somebody gave me an idea and i figured i'd share it...in a pot on low heat melt down sugar and water to a liquid boil, take off heat... add a tsp of icing (she said it doesnt matter if its RI or BC this will make your rocks have a foggy white look...anywho add a few drops od brown or black food color(i did both) and swirl it but not o much to where it blends. on parchment or wax paper pour sugar mixture and let harden. once its hardened break it up and voila! ROCKS!

she said she saw it online somewhere so i am in NO WAY taking credit for it, but it worked great!

like i said i need LOTS of rocks so keep the ideas coming icon_biggrin.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 8

I have found a recipe for sugar rocks that I am delighted with. You can make anything from boulders to gravel. It is Earlene's recipe, very simple to make. You can color it any shade, from tan and sandy, to grey and rocky. I used it on my duck cake and one of the winter cakes in my photos. Here is the procedure:

SUGAR ROCKS

Make a royal icing with one fresh egg white and powdered sugar until it is of piping consistency. Whip as much air into this as possible. Color unevenly. For a more natural, streaked effect, don't mix the color thoroughly into the royal icing. Cover with a damp cloth and reserve.

Line a shoe box with heavy-duty foil. Rub Crisco over the interior of the foil lined box.

Melt 4 1/2 C. of white, granulated sugar in 1 C. cold water over a low temperature in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook to 280 degrees F. on a candy thermometer. Remove from the stove and immediately stir the well-beaten Royal icing into the hot sugar syrup. Pour into the greased, foil lined box, (or a container of comparable size). This mixture's original volume will grow and bubble up, doubling its volume. Let cool completely and then break apart for wonderfully textured rocks, almost like a lava rock. For gravel or fine sand, they can be broken or crushed into small pieces.

I made a couple of batches in different colors, (from sand to gravel to rocks) and have them stored in tightly sealed containers for future use. The recipe makes a lot and, kept dry, lasts indefinitely. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%