Help With A Cake Not Rising Question.

Baking By xmstazx Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 1:46pm by xmstazx

xmstazx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xmstazx Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 7

My son has egg and milk allerige, so making cakes if fun (NOT). I have been baking with Ener-G egg replacers. My cakes have not been rising. Could it be that my egg replacers are old and therefore the rising power is gone? I'm getting a new batch of replacers tomorrow. I'm teaching myself how to decorate but following the Wilton's books, but how can I decorate if the dang cake won't rise. LOL One last question, does anyone know of a BC recipe that does not call for eggs or any kind of egg protien? Thanks
Lisa in NJ

6 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 7

Was it raining when you baked?

icon_evil.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 7

there's a cupcake book.... Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It has some really great cake and frosting recipes. The ones I've tried do not use egg replacer at all. Perhaps your library has a copy?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7

The icing question is easy! The Wilton recipe does not have to be made with meringue powder. In fact, it's a recent addition to the recipe. The original version did not include it.

The most basic American-style buttercream is just butter (unsalted) mixed with powdered sugar to the desired consistency and then flavored with vanilla extract. Milk, water, or corn syrup can be used to thin as needed.

As for the rising question, I've never used the egg-replacer you mention, but when someone has a rising problem the first thing I think of is the levener. Does the recipe you are using call for baking soda and/or baking powder? If so, make sure that it has not expired. If the levener is not fresh, it will not work.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:52am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Was it raining when you baked?

icon_evil.gif

LMAO You're wicked!!!

OP definitely check your leavener, that's most likely the cause of your cakes not rising.

xmstazx Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 7

Nope it was not raining. The egg replacers do have leavening in it, I really think there were bad, I never had this issue before with them. I made brownies with them and again they didn't rise. I'm getting some new ones today. I will also look for that book. We can not use butter either since it has milk or milk protiens in it.

xmstazx Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 7

Well it was the egg replacers that were the cause of the cake not rising. After making some water adjustments to the cake, I know how a nice cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%