How Far In Advance To Decorate Cookies?

Baking By gandelmom Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm by gandelmom

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I made 35 NFSC wedding cake cookies that are now in the freezer. I need them by January 31st. I intend to use MMF and decorate with RI. How far in advance can I do this? I'm going to put each cookie in a separate clear bag with a ribbon. I'd love to finish the cookies soon but I don't know if they can last without putting them in the refrigerator or freezer. If I don't put them in the refrigerator/freezer, how long can they stay "fresh"?
Thank you for any advise!!

6 replies
gandelmom Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 7

can anyone help?

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 7

I typically take my cookies out of the freezer two days before they are needed. This allows me time to decorate and not worry about colors bleeding into others (ie. when you are outlining in black, etc). I feel that the cookies are fine for about 2 days after I decorate them before I start to notice a difference in the taste/texture, but that is me.

I have heard of others on the site freezing decorated cookies, however I have not tried it. The only thought I would have is that you have already frozen them, defrosted and then would refreeze and defrost again. I wonder if that would cause any issues. Sorry I can't help on that end.

Hopes that helps.

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 7

I am busy with my first batch of castle cookies. Do I understand correctly are the cookies in the freezer? Do you just have to bake them? Do they have to thaw first?

gandelmom Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 7

I've already made the cookies (without the decoration) and they are in the freezer. I plan on taking them out and decorating them. I was wondering when I should take them out to decorate, ie how many days before I need them. I guess taking them out and decorating them and refreezing is not a good idea. According to Cricket0616, I should decorate them 2 days before I need to serve them. I thank her for that advice! Next time, maybe I can bake the cookies, decorate with MMF and then freeze. Does that work?

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 7

I bake and freeze the cookies like a week or 2 the most in advance. I would also wait 2 day in advance to decorate. I would not freeze with mmf on the cookies. I would not refreeze them unless it's for me because it doesn't matter to me but to give or sale no.

gandelmom Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%