How Did They Make This?

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 2:45pm by DetailsByDawn

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:59am
post #1 of 18

The edges on the dots, how do you think they did this???
LL

17 replies
madgeowens Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 18

no one has any idea

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 18

Ah...the dots. Well, it gets fuzzy when I zoom in, but they look uneven in places, so looks like plain ole' piping to me.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 18

I agree. Or, maybe one color is a fondant strip placed around the dot, then the contrasting color piped over that?

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 18

It may even be individual little pearls icon_rolleyes.gif

Lori

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 18

Is that a cake from the gallery here on CC? If so, PM the person who posted the cake.

madgeowens Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:39am
post #7 of 18

I don't know where they found it. SOme one sent it to me that her daughter wants it...but I can't figure how they did the dots edges....I thought maybe they used the extruder to get tiny pieces haha.....I don't know....I don't think it looks like piping though.....I guess I better try and make it bigger, so I can see it..wait till i see if I still have e mail with the site where it came from. I want to say boggle or bobble?????

madgeowens Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:41am
post #8 of 18

blogspot, is the site

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:48am
post #9 of 18

I made a cake sorta like that before and I rolled out each little dot out of gumpaste and stuck around the circle... time consuming, but that looks like what they did.

madgeowens Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:51am
post #10 of 18

thats what I thought ugh.....have to try and get her to pick something else haahhaha I know I am bad

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #11 of 18

I m going to say pipping as well although it does look like the dots have somewhat of a gloss to them, like if they were tiny rolled balls of fondant (with some shortning in your hands icon_lol.gif )

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #12 of 18

If you look at my photos... it is the 10th picture (a lime green zebra striped cake). The little "tag" at the left of the bottom tier is sorta like the circles on the cake you posted. You may can see it closer up in my pic.

leeesher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leeesher Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:09am
post #13 of 18

That photo was part of Little Venice Cake Company's old gallery -
http://web.archive.org/web/20070302062101/www.lvcc.co.uk/popup_cake.asp?cakeid=106

Here's another example a very very similar technique from the same baker's current gallery:
http://www.lvcc.co.uk/cake/4/37
It definitely looks piped. Maybe you cold use royal? icon_confused.gif

madgeowens Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #14 of 18

the first link doesn't work, maybe too old.........wonder how whe got this pic???hey thanks for the site....I can see it better on this other similar cake and it still looks like fondant pieced in to me haha.....you don't think?

leeesher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leeesher Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #15 of 18

I leaned toward piped because they look somewhat uneven, and almost appear to have what my old instructor used to refer to as "hershey kisses" on some of the dots. That said, I think fondant or gumpaste could easily produce the same look...

If between the group of us we can't come to a consensus, I guess that means you can do whichever one you're most comfortable with! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:21am
post #16 of 18

Looks like it would be a royal PIA to me lol, either way

CakesForMyKids_Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesForMyKids_Com Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:19pm
post #17 of 18

I cut circles of the base colour using fondant, smoothed the edges, and then glued to the cake before piping royal icing over the top to create the alternate colour.

Make sure you place the circles on the cake as soon as possible to prevent cracking from the curve of the cake and the edges.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 2:45pm
post #18 of 18

I tried a look similar to this a while back. I used a circle cut from fondant. On parchment, I pressed a skewer into the fondant to create little grooves along the edge, evenly spaced. Once that was done, I let the circle harden just slightly so I could lift off the parchment (though I think you could probaby do the whole procedure on the cake, if you're careful). Once on the cake, I had my piping template to pipe the alternate colour into every groove. The piped parts appeared puffier, like the pic, almost as if they were little pieces of fondant or gumpaste. Adding some luster dust to your BC or Royal might give you a bit of the shine you're looking for. Good luck with the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%