A Little Sad

Business By Kitagrl Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:20am
post #1 of 35

Just a little sad comment...finally found my cake on this photographers blog:
sarahdicicco.com and then go to her blog, to the Maria & Casey wedding. Their wedding was very ritzy, prominent exclusive venue and prominent planner and very expensive. They had me do the cake because the mom was a pastry chef and the planner knew I had a good chocolate cake and so he risked giving the order to me, a "no name" caker.

Anyway found her pic of the cake and it looks horrendous. Usually a professional photographer can hide problems but this one wasn't able to. The thing I'm most upset about is that I let the mom talk me into making the sizes different so that the servings would be close to what they needed. I shouldn't have done that because it really threw the cake off more than it already was.

I also had trouble with some of the meringue setting up properly and the photo was taken from the BACK where some of the bottom tier was sliding.

I'm so sad because I feel like I had my chance to really do something cool for some really ritzy people and I really bombed it. I mean yeah, they "said" nice things about it but in reality anyone can look at the picture and say "Oh my word who did THAT?! Its awfully crooked!"

This was like 5 months ago now but I just now saw the pictures so I have that sinking feeling in my stomach about it again. I just wanna do weddings, and I wanna compete with the "big dogs" but if I can't come through when its required of me, then nobody is going to refer me to their clients.

Sorry...thanks for listening to me vent...I'm gonna keep going and keep trying and keep growing my business but I just feel horrible about that wedding cake.

34 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:30am
post #2 of 35

I remember reading your threads about that cake...you had to put the meringue on and then use some kind of torch, right?

Anyhow, your picture of the cake on your website looks lovely...very unique.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #3 of 35

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you! Who though cake could be so stressful?!! I know we are harder on ourselves than others, but I totally understand - sometimes so many things go wrong, or we don't foresee something (like the sizes making it not look right) that there is just nothing we can do but pray we do better next time! And you will! I really hope they loved the cake and didn't even realize the flaws you see were even there!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #4 of 35

I don't see what you mean? I understand how you feel though. Is there a diff pic that you're referring to?

helen3743 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen3743 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #5 of 35

Hi Kitagrl,

Ran across your post.... I haven't been into cake decorating for very long... so I don't know how much value my input would be, but I just wanted to encourage you...

If you love what you're doing... I don't think you should let this get you down.. I mean, yes, it's good i think to let yourself take some time to be sad, but don't let it spoil your passion & gifts in the long run....

If it was really thaT bad, I'm sure they would have said something? And we're always soo much critical on ourselves than how other people might see your cake?

And that photographer is just dumb to have taken a picture of the back of your cake. who does that.

And even if your cake wasn't perfect, or your feel like you made mistakes.... as long as we learn from them, isn't that all we can do?

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #6 of 35

Just saw your cake I think it looks beautiful....I wouldn't worry to much over it as sometimes we are our own worst critics

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #7 of 35

Don't be so hard on yourself! I would never have noticed the sizes of the tiers...after reading the blog explaining that it was intended to be a large marshmallow that is what I saw. I am sure you might have envisioned something different...but I think you carried the theme off wonderfully. thumbs_up.gif

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:46am
post #8 of 35

I looked at all the pics she had of the cake, and I have to say, it looked absolutely scrumptious to me! If they ordered a cake that looked like a marshmallow and tasted like smores, I think the cake totally fits the bill! It looks just like the melty, ooey gooey goodness you would expect to get from a s'more. I also read the photographers comments about how the smell alone built up the anticipation of cutting the cake! I think you are being too hard on yourself and the cake looks great!

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:55am
post #9 of 35

That cake was not only beautiful and interesting, I wanted to dive right into it!! Man, that looks delicious! I wouldn't worry about a thing!

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:51am
post #10 of 35

1 picture at a bad angle dosent remove the fact that you did a beautiful job on that cake..... its stunnning... i looked at all of your cakes and your wonderful.... hold your head high......you did a wonderful job.....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 35

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the photo isn't as bad as you think. You're probably seeing it and remembering the trouble you had with it, but just looking at it as a bystander it looks fine.

I understand what you're saying about taking the picture from the back, though. I did a cake recently that had a chocolate bow on the bottom tier, and there was a big strip of chocolate ribbon that wrapped around the back of the cake. Of course, it got photographed for a local wedding magazine, and what angle did they use for the picture? The back, where you can only see a wrapped chocolate band, no bow. It totally doesn't make sense to me when I look at that, you have to wonder what people are thinking. The focus of that picture wasn't my cake, though, it was more the surroundings with the cake as a part of it.

I think that point I'm trying to make is that the focus of that particular picture on the blog isn't just the cake, it's the entire room and the chandelier, etc. You're seeing the cake because it's what you made, but someone looking at the picture is going to see the cake as a part of the whole photo. Don't worry about them picking the cake apart from just that one picture, because it fits right in to the entire scene.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 35

Thanks so much guys!

I just can't help but see the sliding icing on the bottom...the odd sizes of the cakes...and icing bulging out here and there....with all the "poofy" icing (she requested a TON of meringue which made it yet even more difficult) it was just ooey and gooey everywhere and almost impossible to stack and center, and then I touched up after it was stacked and meringue was sliding everywhere... I just wanted it perfect for a perfect and expensive venue and it was not.

I think if I could do the cake again, it would turn out better because I learned some things about meringue since then...and I would make sure the cake tiers were even....but....oh well. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again...

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 35

Kitagrl-

It's a gorgeous cake. Truly. It looked just right for the venue and for the tone of the wedding. I agree with costumeczar- You're probably just remembering how difficult the meringue was being for you. It's beautiful!!!!!

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm
post #14 of 35

I also wouldn't feel so bad because when I looked at your website, I noticed you were voted the best of Philly cakes; that's huge and awesome! Don't let something like a few minor errors (that I, personally, couldn't find) ruin your confidence because you do some beautiful work. The cake looked delectable : )

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 35

I guess its just so crooked and I want terribly to be referred by that planner again... I am having trouble getting into the "wedding scene" as there is alot of competition here...not complaining at all, just explaining why I had such high hopes for myself and feel ashamed that the cake was so crooked.

I do appreciate the kind words...I guess I'm a real stickler on balance and stuff being even (which stinks since I often struggle with that same thing in my cakes!) and it just jumps out at me when something is crooked to where that's all I can see.

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:09pm
post #16 of 35

Kitagirl,
It probably didn't help that the camera wasn't focused on the cake in the one picture, but the groom. The other one, by itself, I can see why she took it at that angle, the texture looked really awesome! I did notice the odd size, but I wouldn't have if you hadn't pointed it out. The cake blended well with the venue, and it seemed like the couple had a great day with or without a slightly crooked cake and that is all that matters!

Great Job on doing your best with a difficult order!

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 35

Hi Kitagrl ~ I looked at the photos of the cake, and agree that your pictures are much nicer (and capture all of the lovely detail)! Verrrry nice design, by the way! thumbs_up.gif Anyway, I just wanted to say that the photo in the photographer's slideshow is too far away to really even see much. I really couldn't make much of an opinion about it seeing it from that distance. Also, I believe that if the cake didn't meet the bride and groom's expectations, someone would have said something to you. I know it's hard, because I can understand how you feel, but try not to beat yourself up about it anymore. Think of the positive things and move forward. DLo912 mentioned you were voted Best of Philly Cakes. THAT is quite an honor I'd say!!!! Oh. And one more thing. Your work is awesome, and your dedication and drive unquestionable, and I have no doubt that you will achieve your goals. icon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:43pm
post #18 of 35

hey Suzy, I see what you mean with the difference in the tier sizes but overall i still think its a very cool cake. If that is sliding at the bottom, it actually looks intentional so I wouldn't even waste a minute worrying about it. It looks exactly like melty gooey sticky marshmallows! As for the photographer taking a pic of the back of the cake, I don't think it was dumb, I think her intention was to get the whole room in the picture behind the cake. It was such an impressive room, she wanted to capture the whole thing.
anyway, I will say you definitely have an eye for photography yourself, because the pic of the cake on your site is so unique. I would never think to photograph a cake like that and it looks perfect.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:49pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

hey Suzy, I see what you mean with the difference in the tier sizes but overall i still think its a very cool cake. If that is sliding at the bottom, it actually looks intentional so I wouldn't even waste a minute worrying about it. It looks exactly like melty gooey sticky marshmallows! As for the photographer taking a pic of the back of the cake, I don't think it was dumb, I think her intention was to get the whole room in the picture behind the cake. It was such an impressive room, she wanted to capture the whole thing.
anyway, I will say you definitely have an eye for photography yourself, because the pic of the cake on your site is so unique. I would never think to photograph a cake like that and it looks perfect.

Well honestly the cake on my site is slightly photoshopped. haha. I cropped the photo to show the least mistakes, and then did a little cleanup on the cake edges. icon_smile.gif The one in my photos here on this site is an "honest" photo.

I rarely photoshop my cake pictures but on that one I liked the brown swirls, but had to neaten up the messy edges.

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:49pm
post #20 of 35

Kitagrl your cake looks delicious! I understand that you are not too happy with the photos of the photographer, because of the blurry look, but I am sure that you don't have to be afraid that you will lose customers over that. You will gain customers! They ate your lovely cake at the wedding and I am sure they loved it and will talk about the devine taste to friends and family (wealthy friends and family icon_razz.gif ).
Besides, it was a very unique design that most people - if not all - have never seen before. So they don't know what is right and wrong. Even if there were people at the wedding that didn't particularly like the appearance of the cake, they would have considered it a piece of art. And art is always good, right, especially in the upper class!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #21 of 35

Ok Kitagrl... here we go... icon_smile.gif

First of all, I really REALLY like the differences in the tier sizes. It separates the cake out to my eye. I love it.

Second, you really must take the lighting into consideration on this one, because I think it's playing tricks on the camera. It's a dimly lit room, with light coming from different directions and what looks like a bright spotlight above it. If the light shining above it casts shadows of the meringue onto the next tier, it can make it look slightly off kilter... especially with a photo taken 25 feet away. Plus, I don't doubt that a light right above helped melt some of the cake... they get really hot.

Third, sounds like it was something new you tried, and you learned from it to make it better next time. And you will continue to learn. That is very valuable. Regardless, this cake looks great too.

Fourth, it does look very delicious. If I was having a fancy schmancy wedding, I would have no problem with your cake on my table.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Move on to the next cake. You did a GREAT job and you should be proud. icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #22 of 35

I really do appreciate all the great comments....thanks so much!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #23 of 35

First of all.....I don't know why photographers do that...but they always get the bad side of the cake. I've had several of my cakes photographed from the side with the ONLY major flaw! It drives me insane. Now I always take a series of my own photos from each and every angle.

I saw the other pics and I didn't notice the varying tier sizes until looking at the cake for awhile. I see where you mean with the icing, but it almost looks like it's supposed to be that way, since it has a really fluffy/gooey texture. If the photos are accurate...it looks as if MOST people would not have seen that angle (due to the layout of the room).

Don't be too hard on yourself...you would *definitely* have heard if they did not like the cake, or if it was not up to par.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #24 of 35

i just took a peek and the only pic i could find was a blurred out version??? i *did* look at your pictures though and found the cake...and all i can say is that you are a wayyyy braver girl than I!!! that cake would have given me fits, lol! i think you did a really good job...

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #25 of 35

The main pic is on the blog page, if you scroll down...there is a pic of the entire ballroom with the cake....and since its a nice distance away you can definitely see the contours of the cake being uneven.

Hopefully though as many said, maybe people thought it was supposed to be that way, or maybe they didn't notice. Maybe if they drank enough...haha...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #26 of 35

I actually really like your cake and have had it in my fav's for a while now. Chin up and keep moving forward. You did a good job and it looks like a smore cake should.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #27 of 35

Try not to be hard on yourself. The cake fit what they wanted, and it looks fantastic! It also looks like a challenge, and although I"m not professional, I looked very closely at the pics and couldn't see anything wrong. It looks fantastic.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:33pm
post #28 of 35

I think the cake looks great! If you ask me.. looking at the picture the photographer was taking a crooked picture. The cake doesn't look crooked but the photo does. I always see something wrong with every cake I do. Especially if its something new or things go wrong and you are frustrated ready to get things over. And time after time I always get compliments. Cheer up!!

KellzNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellzNZ Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:11pm
post #29 of 35

I looked at the pictures on that blog of the cake, and I am in awe! What a gorgeous cake and so unique, what a great idea! It looks really difficult to pull off, yet you did it! Wow! Stunning!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #30 of 35

I think the cake looks great. And I can just imagine how yummy it was. S'mores, Hmmmmmm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%