Stacking Cakes Without Damaging

Decorating By rebew10 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 2:13pm by Jan14grands

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 10

May be a stupid question, but it always seems to be an issue. What is the best way to stack a cake iced in buttercream without damaging the bottom edge of the cake being placed on top? When I move the cake and place it on the tier below, I always manage to damage the edge of the cake slightly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:22am
post #2 of 10

Leave the dowels sticking out of the cake a little ways. The weight of the cake will push them the rest of the way into the cake but you'll have time to get your hands out from under first.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you!! I knew it would be something really easy that I was just not thinking of.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 10

That is a great tip! I usually just put off doing the bottom trim till the cakes are stacked and then cover whatever blurp happened from the stacking with the trim! LOL!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 10

I refrigerate so the buttercream is firm. Gives you a few moments to adjust to center the cake and such with help of a flat spatula.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:00am
post #6 of 10

these are great tips! thanks so much! i am learning to stack the cakes as well! i can get it done too, but seem to damage the tier under that one that i am placing on! i will have to give these ideas a try too!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #7 of 10

The "leave the dowels sticking out a bit" thing has not worked for me the two times I tried it... both times I ended up with a igger mess because I had to take the top cake OFF again when the dowels didn't sink all the way, or didn't sink EVENLY, so a part of the cake was still not all the way down...

If you try it, definitely DO NOT try it with cold bottom cake, as I think that would make it worse.

You'll also find that the more you stack cakes, the better you get at it. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:13am
post #8 of 10

I use bubble tea straws and cut them even with the buttercream...then squirt a little icing and lay down a wax paper circle...squirt a little more icing and then lay the next tier. If the cakes are well chilled, you can even briefly touch the side of the iced cake with no harm done.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #9 of 10

Have you watched Edna's video?

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 10

I have done the dowels sticking up too. Usually works well, but sometimes, a dowel will tip sideways and what a mess! You have to be sure they are absolutely straight and even when you put the top tier on and they don't always sink at the same rate, therefore cake doesn't settle good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%