Using A Rubber Stamp On Cookies?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 4 Jan 2014 , 5:49pm by Dr_Hfuhruhurr

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:08am
post #1 of 28

I found all these cute stamps at micheals today, and I was wondering how I could stamp some sugar cookies, do I paint it with colour?

27 replies
MelissaAnn84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaAnn84 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 28

im really interested to know the answer to this too! i always wondered if that was possible!

motherofgrace Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #3 of 28

they were on for $1.50 so I bought them lol if no one knows I will just have to try it!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 28

I've used the rubber ones and just dipped it in food coloring and stamped it onto fondant.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:38am
post #5 of 28

I have read that the rubber ones mounted on wood blocks are not food safe. The clear acrylic ones for scrapbooking, the ones you peel off a sheet and stick on a clear block, are food safe.

I usually use them for impressions on cake boards.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:44am
post #6 of 28

I never tried these, but I read two technichs in two different books. I also bought a few rubber stamps, I might get encouraged and try them for Valentine's Day.

1. Wet or dampen a small felt (I hope I am naming the right material) with liquid food color. Slightly press the stamp on it and gently either press on the cookie, or the fondant (works better), or marzipan.

2. With a round roller thingy (like the one painters use, but it has to be food safe) transfer the liquid food color on the stamp, and etc.

You will have a sharper, cleaner image transferred if the color gets only on the design not all the stamp.

I sometimes use the stamps to transfer its design to fondant either on cake or cookie with no color, just press the clean stamp on fondant or even gum paste. you either can cut the design out, let it dry and use it or you can paint it with a small food safe clean brush and food colors or dusts.

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #7 of 28

Here's more info about the whole food-safe thing with rubber stamps: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=600616&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

motherofgrace Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:40am
post #8 of 28

there are so many opinions back and forth that im going to try it lol!

ill let you guys know how it goes!

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:01am
post #9 of 28

Texas_Rose thank you for pasting the subject, I learned a lot. I will let every one who can use the info. know the stamps are not safe.

It is sad and scary to see some books illustrate on how to use those stamps for decorating cakes and cookies.

Do you know anything about crayola products, not the play dough itself but the tools, stamps, molds, etc.

I feel so stupid for buying all those stamps, and now I might be able to use those just for embossing ... icon_cry.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:27am
post #10 of 28

there was a company... sweetstampen.. check that out... laure'l silverburg.. something like that use to be part owner.. haven,t checked it lately.. they had food safe stamps, etc...hth

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:28am
post #11 of 28

I've tried it before (saw in MS Weddings) and did not get good results. It would smear when I did it.

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:00am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

I feel so stupid for buying all those stamps, and now I might be able to use those just for embossing ... icon_cry.gif

I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I bought stamps too because I had seen them used on cupcakes on Flickr, then came home and got on Cake Central and read that I couldn't use them after all icon_sad.gif

But they do make nice designs on cake boards, like this:
I painted over the impressions with silver airbrush paint, with a regular paintbrush, then wiped the excess off with a paper towel. Easiest thing ever!

And those scrapbook stamps are fine to use, from what I've read. Michaels has them in their dollar bins sometimes and so does Joanns, and they go on sale a lot. There are some really neat ones.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:36am
post #13 of 28

when I saw the title of your post I was thinking that you could rubber stamp them before you baked them, if they were well chilled i think they might hold the impression.

but of course you should get the food safe ones.

ecrandal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecrandal Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 7:47am
post #14 of 28

That's what I was thinking too! Has anyone tried to use them to leave an impression? Kind of like using a cookie mold, only in reverse. I was thinking of using an alphabet set to imprint sayings on valentine 'candy heart' cookies. Would love to hear if anyone has had success with this!
eric

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:32am
post #15 of 28

You can use rubber stamps because Martha Steward uses them. She gets them from this special place. I've tried the clear ones.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #17 of 28

if martha says THAN IM DEFINATLY TRYING IT LOL!!! i will just sterilize them first!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm
post #18 of 28

Wow what a great idea. I tried to use the clear stamps for a baby shower cake I made for my cousin. I used 2 diffrent stamps but the fondant wouldnt release from the stamp. I used Crisco and corn starch, but that didnt work either.

I'll try to use PS next time.

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #19 of 28

Does anyone know: If you can "coat" the rubber stamp with food lacquer would that make it safe? I've used rubber stamps on items that were not meant to be eaten but I would like to also try them on edible items.

Thanks!!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:15pm
post #20 of 28

if I understand correctly, the not-food-safe of the stamps has to do with the material of the rubber as well as the adhesive that is used to put it on the wooden block.... so there's nothing you can do to a non-food safe stamp like that to make it food safe.

I've used food-safe stamps on cookies...it took a lot of time... painted piping gel on the raised part of the stamp, then "stamped" it onto the dried RI covered cookie and then covered that marking with luster dust or colored sugar and shaken off the excess. (white dress on bottom row of dress cookies, but you can's see the silver of the stamp very well in the picture)

I've never tried it with food coloring, but I imagine the same type of method of painting onto the part of the stamp would work... but would take a lot of time.

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:23pm
post #21 of 28

OK, I don't think I was clear on what I meant. If you completely coated the whole stamp and wood block with edible lacquer, creating a barrier between the stamp, wood, glue, etc and your cookie, would that be considered OK.

Also, has anyone tried to place plastic wrap between the stamp and cookie? Could you shrink wrap over the stamp to avoid wrinkles in the plastic?

Thanks.

motherofgrace Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:44pm
post #22 of 28

i have heard abotu people using plastic wrap (check out the link JanH gave me)

I would assume that would me ok... icon_smile.gif again different opinions makes it hard to know what to do!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #23 of 28

I saw some unmounted stamps at Hobby Lobby the other day. Wonder if they would be ok? Is the rubber toxic? So the clear acrylic stamps are ok? Guess we could call the manufacturer to see. Some won't say but some will. Wish I could remember way brand these were

Also, I was wanting to use them to emboss marshmallow RBC (softer than fondant) and I think it wouldn't take much pressure. Then I was going to pipe over the impression for a 3d effect

auntieruthie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntieruthie Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 4:53pm
post #24 of 28

icon_smile.gif If you use unmounted stamps they are food safe.

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:19am
post #25 of 28

I realize this is an old thread, but since it was already bumped up and I was curious about the use of these stamps, I thought it would be okay to post.

The clear stamps (the ones that you can mount on acrylic) are not deemed to be food safe. This is the e-mail I got today from the supplier:

Thank you for your interest in Inkadinkado! Unfortunately, our products are not tested to be food safe, so I do not recommend them for that use. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have further questions. Have a great day and a Happy New Year!

It's curious though that they are sold on Global Sugar Art.

I have some of the stamps and used them on fondant for cupcakes, (which thankfully were just for playing around and ended up in my freezer).

I love the designs though. So, today I rolled out some fondant and then topped it with saran wrap (yes, it's FOOD SAFE!!!) and then used the stamper. It worked well. When I peeled off the saran, I was pleased with the result. The lines may not be 'quite' as sharp as when using the stamp without saran, but you'd have to have both samples side by side to notice a difference.

BreetJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BreetJohnson Posted 31 May 2012 , 6:41am
post #26 of 28

I like rubber stump because many places use this stump.Thanks

Rubber Stamps

juliensmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliensmith Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 10:30am
post #27 of 28

using a rubber band on cookies? I am sure everything would be that perfect then and I know everything would be that perfect one.

thanks,

self inking stamp

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 5:49pm
post #28 of 28

AI wonder if rubber stamps you cut yourself would be food safe. No chemicals from etching.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%