Bohemian Wedding Cake Ideas???

Decorating By kellertur Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 19

Any ideas? The bride means bohemian as in "non-traditional / unconventional", not as in the place. I have a topper and colors to work with, but I wondered what you're interpretation of "Bohemian" is.

I have a few ideas, but would love some help please.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

18 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 19

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask the bride what HER interpretation is? icon_smile.gif

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 19

Check out the patterns I found here:

http://www.dreamcraftstore.co.uk/acatalog/BASIC_GREY_PAPERS.html

To me, those are bohemian. Bohemian to me just means very free flowing...I think the cake should be super fun!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 19

Sorry, you say Bohemian, and I start thinking of traditional pastries from Prague...would definitely ask the bride to be more specific!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 19

I picture kinda hairy. Probably not helpful for the bride to take my interpretation.

kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask the bride what HER interpretation is? icon_smile.gif

I actually *have* spoken with the bride (at length) about this. She has left artistic interpretation up to me. I will be showing some sketches in a few weeks at our consult. The purpose of this post was to brainstorm & gather OTHER interpretations. I am all set on colors, and plan to incorporate her unique topper into the design. I just wanted to see what other people thought of "bohemian". I'm sure I"ll figure this out.
Thank you.

NYCGiGi~ thank you for the helpful response. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #7 of 19

I think of gypsy-style when I think Bohemian. Long gauzy skirts, free love, that sort of thing. Don't know if that helps any... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:21am
post #8 of 19

I am thinking of a paisley pattern. Oh, and 'beaded" patterns and medallions, fondant "braids", moss-like textures, and sunflowers.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:26am
post #9 of 19

It might help us if you show us the cake topper, or at least describe it?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:31am
post #10 of 19

To me, it's something like this cake I did:

http://www.spdak.com/pictures/bohemian.htm

mmlj316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmlj316 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:34am
post #11 of 19

I'm with bobwonderbuns. I think of gypsy style maybe bright colors that have faded with time.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:41am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I think of gypsy-style when I think Bohemian. Long gauzy skirts, free love, that sort of thing. Don't know if that helps any... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

You must have grown up in the 60's. That's what I think of too when I hear bohemian.

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #13 of 19

You are more than welcome! icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #14 of 19

Thank you, these are great ideas. I like the "flowing" idea too. I may do something with that. Maybe draping fondant or something somewhere in the design like fabric. ?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:03am
post #15 of 19

I didn't mean to seem unhelpful. (Although I knew there was a chance you'd take it that way.) I just bristle at the thought of, considering the wide range of potential interpretations, the time and effort spent on sketches and configurations that may be completely off the mark.

In addition to what the others have said, I think of macrame and strips of leather. I must be channelling my inner hippie. icon_smile.gif

Good luck with this cake! It sounds like a fun project.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:20am
post #16 of 19

I think paisley, long hair.....you should think about using paisley pans for this cake

kellertur Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:32am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I didn't mean to seem unhelpful. (Although I knew there was a chance you'd take it that way.) I just bristle at the thought of, considering the wide range of potential interpretations, the time and effort spent on sketches and configurations that may be completely off the mark.

In addition to what the others have said, I think of macrame and strips of leather. I must be channelling my inner hippie. icon_smile.gif

Good luck with this cake! It sounds like a fun project.

Thank you Diane. icon_smile.gif I'm also sorry if my first response was rude, it wasn't intended. I appreciate the help. I agree, a lot was left to the imagination.

Auntmamie~ I forgot to mention she wants square tiers. I still like the paisley idea though.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #18 of 19

I would think of the henna or mendhi designs... but again, I could be really far off of what the bride is thinking when she says bohemian.

And please, if you can, post a picture of the cake topper. I think it would help a lot.

- Leisel

kellertur Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 19

I'd rather not post their topper, incase they look at CC I'd rather not have my customer's "following me", if that makes sense.

The topper does remind me of a Henry Moore Sculpture though, with soft lines. I already do know how I will tie the topper into the cake though... I started sketching last night.

Thanks everyone. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%