How Do I Make Tree Limb/choclate Tree For Floral Cake?

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm by gmorriello

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone. I have tried to search for this topic but am not coming up with anything.
I want to do a dogwood cake for my daughter and would really love to try one of those three tier cakes that have the tree limb and dogwood flowers. I have seen them applied with buttercream or royal icing but I want an actual 3-D type limb. I "think" you would apply the flowers with the floral wire? Is the limb a wire coated with gumpaste, fondant or chocolate?
Can anyone direct me to a tutorial or offer some bits of advice?
Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
crazyladybaker Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 10

yeah..I didn't check the spelling on subject line before I hit submit..lol
I do know how to spell chocolate icon_lol.gif

LyndaOlsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyndaOlsen Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:16am
post #3 of 10

The only way I know to make a realistic branch is to do it out of wire.

You shape the branch out of wire leaving exposed area to add your gumpaste dogwood flowers. Or create your dogwood flowers and add them before you tape everything together.

Once the branch is shapped and the flowers added wrap the wire in Dark BROWN tape. Take scissors and crimpers and pinch the branches at different areas. This will actually give the branch a more realistic look. Every branch has thinner and thicker areas and irregular bark.

If you need an example pm me and I'll send you a picture

valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #4 of 10

I was wondering if the cake you mean is the same as the cherry blossom cakes? In alot of those the tree and branches are made of either brown fondant or molding chocolate and the flowers attached with water or edible glue type thing. HTH thumbs_up.gif

crazyladybaker Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the reply. Yes, after searching that term that is the look I am wanting! I am going to try and post a link here to a pic of what I am trying to create.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1460632

such a great cake. My colors will be different but that is the tree branch I want to make. I am guessing that is modeling chocolate?
Thanks!

crazyladybaker Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:18am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the reply LyndaOlsen. I didn't see it earlier when I logged in. I am going to give this a try and will be back if I need more help with it.
Have a great day!

honeybeesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybeesweets Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:10am
post #7 of 10

I was wondering if you figured out a way to make the chocolate tree branch and if you have a photo? I need to make a cake with tree branches and haven't figured it out yet. Thanks!

crazyladybaker Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:40am
post #8 of 10

Hello. I haven't had time to try this yet. It seems that I got sidetracked by the Cricut machine icon_lol.gif

I need the branch for the third week of Feb so it wont be much longer before I start trying to make it.

Have a great day.

cakemom55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom55 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 10

THANKS! I keep playing with my Cricut as well. I was thinking of making the branches out of modeling chocolate. It should be fun to figure out!

gmorriello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmorriello Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 10

I just recently did a cherry blossom cake and used chocolate modeling clay (the recipe is on this site). It worked beautifully. I loved the effect and I was able to achieve. It wasn't possible with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%