Khalstead's Recipe I Tried It Today

Baking By mishlove Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 12:47am by kakealicious

mishlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishlove Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 11

and the cookies spread, I followed the directions and I even put them in the freezer. So what do you think went wrong?

Thanks for your help

Mish

10 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 11

Is it the NFSC?
If so, I omit the baking powder and double the vanilla.

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:35am
post #3 of 11

I have been using Penny's Cookies and they are WONDERFUL!!! The taste is amazing and no spreading at all. It is in the recipe section. I use the one with the heavy cream in it. I don't even have to refrigerate before baking . Give it a try if you can icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 5:17am
post #4 of 11

I tried her recipe as well and my cookies did not spread. Go figure.

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 11

I tried this one too and they didn't spread, but they were not that tasty and kind of dry. The kids loved them though. I want to try the Penny's cookies recipe next.

luv2bake6 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #6 of 11

I did not end up needing all the flour. The trick to avoiding dry dough is to add the flour slowly and feel the dough. If it feels good enough to roll out, then don't add anymore to the mix.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #7 of 11

I agree with luv2bake6, I didn't need all of the flour that the recipe called for either.

I've used this recipe a few times now and I really like it. I didn't have a problem with spreading either.

One important thing is you'll know they're done when they just begin to puff and get shiny.

They'll look a little uncooked but leave them on the sheet for a good 10 minutes before you attempt to move them.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 11

Make sure that you do not overcream your butter and sugar. You do not want to add a lot of air. Cold sheets, cold dough, well preheated oven. So sorry short, but in a rush.

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 11

Ya know, now that I think about it I could have stopped with like 3 cups of flour. I will try that again and see if that helps... but I still want to try Penny's cuz they sound delish! icon_biggrin.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 11

Let us know how they turn out!

kakealicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakealicious Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #11 of 11

Overcreaming your butter and sugar will make your cookies spread. Rule of thumb is to cream for about 3-4 minutes. I used to cream the daylights out of my dough and always had problems with spreading. When I set the timer for 3 minutes...voila!...no more spreading. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%