Carved Cake Servings

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm by Renaejrk

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:51am
post #1 of 5

How do you figure them out? After cutting a bunch of cake away how do you price the cake according to servings? Or is it more of a "per cake" price with these?

I have been asked to make a carved fish cake that I guess would be 2-D since it is on a cake board but has fins and tail sticking out away from the cake.

4 replies
poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:07am
post #2 of 5

It's always a hard call but I charge per cake. Unless you can reuse the scraps it's just wasted. There's always the cake balls but unless you have a shop where you can sell them then it's hard to get rid of them, of course there is always eating them yourself! LOL

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 7:42am
post #3 of 5

I have seen most people do by serving. Most people need ## servings so you would have to plan your cake accordingly. I just did an airplane cake, I gave them a little more than they asked for because that's how it worked out, but I planned the cake to be about 18 inches of cake long and 3 inches wide. Some parts they could get more servings out of because it was 4-5 inches tall, and some less. I figured as much as I could ahead to get 20-25 servings. This is approximately what they got - I think it is all about the planning.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 5

Oh, O.k, thanks, that is what I was thinking. They want it to feed 30 people and that is all that will be served, so I need to make sure there is enough cake. I suppose I could always place it on another single sheet cake too if the fish isn't enough by itself.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 5

Yeah, I would figure out how thick it will be approximately, and then that will tell you how big the cuts will be - 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, etc. For example: If it's not very tall in some places they may need to cut wider pieces to get a serving of cake, but if it is 3 inches tall in some spots they may only need to cut a 1x2 inch slice! icon_smile.gif It's hard to know ahead exactly what it will be, but try to measure it out on paper or posterboard - that always helps me!

I would think you could make a 30 serving fish, but if not a small extra undecorated cake works. I stuck a sheet under my airplane because they actually needed 50 servings, which would be CRAZY big for an airplane!! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%