Fondant Figures Cracking

Decorating By Jeep_girl816 Updated 24 Jan 2010 , 5:09am by DetailsByDawn

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #1 of 3

Ok so I've made fondant figures/molded fondant before and this has never happened. I'm trying to made the animals from Madagascar for a friend's son's Bday cake in Feb. Decided to do the critters ahead of time so they'll have time to dry or I can go out and get a deco-pac or something if they really suck, didn't actually think it would really come to that though. Well what do you know! About four days ago I sculpted the Hippo and she actually looked pretty good so I left her in my normal drying spot where she wouldn't be disturbed by my son, husband, cats, etc. Checked on her a couple times through the past several days, everything seemed A-OK. Checked today and she's got splits and cracks running all over her. icon_cry.gif What the heck? It was in the top shelf in a closet. No moisture, no sun light, no drafts, I just want to know what happened before I attempt it again and make more. Any ideas or insight would be much appreciated, THANKS!!

2 replies
CakeBakerSoulShaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakerSoulShaker Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:50am
post #2 of 3

What I have noticed happening when sculpting with fondant and hoping it will dry is that, unless you dry it out fast, that tends to happen. Because the moisture inside breaks through the crunchy outside layer. Id say put some tylose in it to harden it or another neat trick is to put it in the oven for a few days. NO HEAT just the pilot will dry it out quicker. Sorry to hear your cute figure is cracking! Hope this helps

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:09am
post #3 of 3

That's a great tip - works wonders to dry them out as fast as possible. Just make sure NOT to use the oven drying method if you're using MMF - just the light of the oven is enough to melt your pretty little figures into marshmallow puddles!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%