Death By Chocolate Cake Request

Decorating By umgrzfn Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 12:25am by icer101

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 8

So, I have a request for a "Death by Chocolate cake" and I'm not sure how to do this. I've never made one before....I looked at the recipes on here and they all require the cake to be broke up into pieces. Is there a recipe that does not require this? Also....when the customer left the message, she said there were "like 8 different chocolates in it". THAT'S A LOT OF CHOCOLATE!!!!!! Anyone heard of this? I could certainly use all the tips I can get here!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!! And Thank you!!!!!

7 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 8

My Death By Chocolate Cake recipe is a standard chocolate fudge cake recipe that has choco chips added, choco syrup added and then it's topped and covered with chocolate curls. Now how you'd add more types of chocolate I'm not sure...guess the chips could be two types, the curls two types, add a chocolate bavarian creme filling with another type of chocolate grated on top and then chocolate fudge buttercream to ice it with? That's 8. Remind them to cut VERY small pieces of this..it is incredibly rich.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 8

That sounds soooo good!! Thank you!! I did send you a PM...but my comp locked up so I'm not sure if it sent. Please let me know and thank you again!!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 8

Death by chocolate is different depending on who is making it. Sounds like the customer is wanting you to replicate someone else's exact recipe, which, without knowing whose, is pretty much impossible to do.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 8

i think there is a lot of ways to do death by chocolate! make (in your head) what you consider to be death by chocolate, and see if that suits.
its tricky when people say i want it like that place, if they dont tell you what that place was and what the magic ingredients were, you can not match it.
(i would make a rich chocolate cake, chocolate fudge icing (or ganache...), cigarillos, sauces, shavings. maybe truffles or mini chocolate bars if its more about the chocolate and less of a dessert cake thing)
xx

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #6 of 8

There is a Marcelle Du(sorry can't remember) in "The Trellis CookbooK" recipe (if I remember, I saw him on tv once & he said he invented it, for what that's worth). If you want that particular recipe, if you want to pm me for it, I can get it for you today or tomorrow.
hth
terri

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:24am
post #7 of 8

The Trellis restaurant in Williamsburg, VA is quite famous for its Death By Chocolate cake. One of the last desserts I had prior to my egg allergy. AMAZING. So rich, my husband and I split a piece and couldn't finish it.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Death%20by%20chocolate%20pt%201
Or
http://www.recipezaar.com/Death-by-Chocolate-a-La-Trellis-356724

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #8 of 8

i agree with terrig007.. i have that book also.. it is called death by chocolate.. i do believe. i saw him make it on food challenge a few years ago.. i have been wanting to make it ever since... but haven,t ..hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%