Master Inventory List Of Supplies?

Business By Cakepro Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 3:00am by johnson6ofus

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 19

Just curious if anyone has or knows of a master list of kitchen and decorating supplies for a new bakery.

I know what I've been using to do cakes the last 12 years but am in the process of shopping and ordering everything I can think of to stock the kitchen and decorating areas in our new bakery, and I would love a master list to check against my own list. I know there must be a hundred things I am overlooking, and I sure don't want to be making multiple trips to Ace Mart to pick up stuff at the moment I discover I need it.

I'm talking about all the millions of tools we'll need...wet & dry measuring cups, measuring spoons, rubber and icing spatulas, thermometers, sifters/strainers, etc etc etc etc etc.

I would be forever indebted to whomever can share this information with me. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

18 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 19

I guess it all depends on what kind of tools that you specifically would use. I use a million measuring cups, rulers, parchment paper and SHARPIES. You may not use parchment. I don't use silpats, unless I am doing sugar. some use them alot.

Cakepro Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 19

Well, yeah, of course it all depends on what kind of tools I specifically use, which is why I requested a master list. I am stocking a full-size retail bakery, and a master list would enable me to see EVERYTHING recommended for such a kitchen plus probably a ton of other things I wouldn't use (for example, we aren't baking bread at this point in time, so I could ignore the items on the list that were specific to making bread).

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 19

Random, but I think I use more toothpicks than anything else!

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 19

I'm in the same boat.. I am trying to compile one myself. Hopefully someone will respond that normally compiles the information on the site. Whoever does it though it's going to a take a ridculously long amount of time.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 19

lots and lots of cookie/fondant cutters

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 19

Flour
Granulated Sugar
Powdered Sugar
Brown Sugar
Superfine Sugar
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Buttermilk
White Vinegar
Food Coloring (gel, paste, etc.)
Corn Syrup
Flavor Oils
Flavor Extracts
Hi-Ratio Shortening
Eggs
Milk
Heavy Cream
Lemon Juice
Butter
Semi-sweet Chocolate
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Salt
Canola Oil
Vegetable Oil
Milk Chocolate
White Chocolate
Water
Meringue Powder
Fondant
Gum Paste
Tylose
Glycerin
Glucose
Toothpicks
Pastry Tips
Parchment Bags
Pastry Bags
Rolling Pins
Embossers
Pencil Sharpeners
Styrofoam boards
Dowels
Separator Plates
Plastic Separators
Spatulas
Bowls
Utensils
Mixer (Electric Stand and Handheld)
Ruler
Fondant Smoother
Bench Scraper
Measuring Spoons
Measuring Cups
Serrated Knife
Offset Spatulas
Scale
Paring Knife
Cake Boards
Cupcake Wrappers
Plastic Mat (Fondant)
Palette Knife
Tape Measure
Plastic Couplers & Rings
Leaf Veiner Molds
Fondant & Gumpaste Cutters
Cookie Cutters
Cake Pans (Sheet, Round, Square, Oval, Heart, Hexagon, etc.)
Cookie trays
Cooling Racks
Timer
Cloth covered wire
Petal dust
Luster dust
Paintbrushes
Set of Gumpaste Tools
Scissors
Pastry Brush
Sifter
Turntable
Wooden Mallet/Hammer
Paper Towels
Rags/Towels
Refrigerator
Stove
Oven

and there's lots more but anything else is really going common sense.. I'm sure I'm missing other important items as well.. but someone else can pick up on it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:46am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelectabilityCakes

.....but anything else is really going common sense..

I agree. If one has been doing cakes long enough that they are to the point of opening a shop, then common sense will dictate what they need in a kitchen.

Common sense says if you have an oven that can bake 20 cakes at one time, and if you're planning on doing high volume, then you're going to need more than two 8" rounds.

If you've been doing high volume cakes for a few years, then common sense dicates that you'll need 5 or 6 rose tips, another half dozen #3 writing tips, etc.

A super high volume bakery will need maybe 24 of the same tip whereas a specialty custom order only bakery will only need 3 or 4.

Stock up on the common sense stuff .... don't buy the "I might need this someday" stuff until you actually need it. That's a great way to suck up your cash on stuff that lies in a drawer for months, still in the original packaging.

Cakepro Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:08am
post #9 of 19

I don't need someone to point out the obvious, Indideby.

-------------
I was HOPING to avoid reinventing the wheel by not having to open every drawer and cabinet in here to make an inventory list of what I already use.

I was HOPING that everything a bakery/restaurant kitchen needs has been compiled into one sweet, concise little list so I could just go line by line, checking off what I already have.

Click, print, check off line by line. Done.

That's what I'm looking for. icon_smile.gif

sweet12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet12 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #10 of 19

Thanks for asking this question...i was wondering this question myself. I always use checklists for better organization and this helps out a lot~

indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 19

Cakepro, I do apologize if it offended you, but I think what folks are tyring to say is there really can't be a "master list" of what goes in a bakery because there are just too many variables in how each bakery operates and what they offer. If someone is looking for a list of every single item that might be in a bakery so someone can just cross things off ..... I can foresee the list being 100 pages or so.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 19

Happy Birthday, Indy icon_smile.gif

Sorry to hijack the thread, just noticed Indy's birthday while reading, carry on, please

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 19

Sherri....Isaw a site or two yesterday, after googling "inventory list bakeries" that didn't have a masterlist persay, but catalogs and online sources for bakery supplies came up. I think going through a suppliers inventory of what they selltothe public is probably the key. I mean, each and every department. Do I use this? Oh yeah, add that to the list....no, no, no I don't ever use this....on and on.

Or mentally scan the bakery, top shelf to cleaning closet. What do you see in there?

I'm pretty simple and possibly a bit "going the long way" to find info like this sometimes. It's probably what I would do until someone came along and said "no, doit this way...much quicker!" icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #14 of 19

Jaime, I decided last night to just peruse the catalogs. I've got meetings with suppliers lined up all week so that will have to do. icon_smile.gif

With as many "start your own business" books and guides and ebooks and the like out there, I am quite certain someone somewhere has compiled such a list.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 19

Oh, yeah, I guess basically what Jamie was saying...find vendors online that has a variety of bakery offerings...going though the online catalogs...add stuff to your shopping cart in the quantities you need...when done, print off that screen, or copy and paste it into word, empty shopping cart and leave(if you don't empty it, some vendors will call you back, if you've signed in, and inquire about your pending order...)...it'll save a bunch of writing aaaaaaaand you will be able to do it while popping back into CC inbetween

indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

Happy Birthday, Indy icon_smile.gif

Sorry to hijack the thread, just noticed Indy's birthday while reading, carry on, please

Me and Robert E. Lee! (A big bonus for a Civil War history buff like me!)

Janis Joplin and Dolly Parton.

And the great Edgar Allen Poe!!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #17 of 19

Great thread.

Cakepro Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 11:14pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

.it'll save a bunch of writing aaaaaaaand you will be able to do it while popping back into CC inbetween

LOL!! Perfect plan!! icon_biggrin.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:00am
post #19 of 19

I did this type of post for a cruise once, BUT rather than asking for a list, asked for "favorites".

Heck- hopefully you won't forget flour and sugar and eggs, but like a pp said, ... boy, I use a lot of toothpicks.

So, maybe a better question may be, "I am opening a bakery- tell me three things you can't live without..."?

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%