Pricing For A 9" Cheesecake

Decorating By silverc Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm by PattyT

silverc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverc Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 22

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me with the price of a 9" New York style cheesecake. I bake from home and have made them before but never sold one. The ingredients cost me around $15. I am making a homemade strawberry glaze to be drizzled on top. Since there is no decorating involved, and it just took the time to mix and bake it I was thinking about $25. I would appreciate any input especially if this price is too high. I have never bought a cheesecake and don't have any idea how much they sell for!

21 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 22

How long does it take you start to finish?

silverc Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 22

I guess it took about 5 mins. to mix and it baked for 1 hour and 10 mins.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 22

$40-$45

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 22

Is your time worth $10 for it?

silverc Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 22

Well, I was figuring that it only took 5 mins to mix and no more than 10 mins prep. I know that I used power to bake it and a cake board and box. I guess I was just wondering what they usually sell for. $25 seems cheap to me with the ingredients costing $15, but I can't sell it for more than they would pay at a bakery (not walmart or a grocery store, but a independent bakery).

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 22

Cheescakes are very hard to get what they are actually worth. To make any profit on them at all you need to be able to make them in bulk. Good luck. Get the most you can

Mike

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 22

That leaves you with a $10 profit. Now out of that $10, you will need to go to the supermarket and pick up supplies. Then you will need to mix and prepare the cheesecake, wash those dishes. After baking, you will need to wash the pans, clean up whatever mess and dirty dishes resulting from baking and mixing the glaze. Factor in your baking time (approx. 50 cents to a dollar in heating cost depending on your electricity rates). You will also need to purchase a board to put it on, a box to put your finished cheesecake in (probably another $1.50 to $2.50).

To sum it up,

gas and time to pick up ingredients
Prep and clean up time
Baking costs for electricity
Cake board
cake box

Your $10 profit just got whittled down to about $6 for at least two hours work.

If you are comfortable with making $3 an hour, then go for it. I personally wouldn't trade my two hours of freedom for $6, or even $10.

For me, baking is work - it's a job that I do for people who don't want to do it themselves. If they want a product, then they pay me for my valuable time and expertise.

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 22

In the local bakeries, a 9-inch New York style cheesecake costs around $35 to $40. Knowing what it costs to make one myself, and factoring in the time that is involved, I would not sell one (to a friend) for less than $40.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 22

I charge $45 for my 9" cheescakes

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 22

The specialty cheesecake bakery in my area sells 10" for $40.

silverc Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 22

Thank you all! All of this info helps.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverc

Well, I was figuring that it only took 5 mins to mix and no more than 10 mins prep.

I'm still trying to figure out how you make a cheesecake in 15 minutes...

silverc Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:36pm
post #14 of 22

Pattyt- I put the graham crackers sugar and butter in the food processor and gave it a spin. It took seconds, then I pressed it into the pan. I mixed the creamcheese and eggs until smooth and added sugar, flour and cream and mixed till creamy and poured it into the pan. I didn't time myself, but I don't think it took any longer than 15 mins. to do this.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 22

Check the prices of the independent bakeries in your area.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:

Pattyt- I put the graham crackers sugar and butter in the food processor and gave it a spin. It took seconds, then I pressed it into the pan. I mixed the creamcheese and eggs until smooth and added sugar, flour and cream and mixed till creamy and poured it into the pan. I didn't time myself, but I don't think it took any longer than 15 mins. to do this.

I'm guessing what Patty means is what about prep time and baking time. You can't leave the house/shop while your cheese cake is in the oven for how ever long it is in there.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

I'm guessing what Patty means is what about prep time and baking time. You can't leave the house/shop while your cheese cake is in the oven for how ever long it is in there.

No I usually take a nap icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

silverc Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #18 of 22

I can't figure out how to add quotes, but I realize what she meant, I was just clearing up that I never said I did the whole cake in 15 mins. In my second post I said that I baked it for 1 hour and 10 mins.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:22pm
post #19 of 22

I have a friend of a friend who lives near Charlotte, bakes from his home, and sells cheesecakes to local restaurants for $60/each. I do not know if they have a topping or what size they are. HTH

silverc Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #20 of 22

Thanks Jammjenks- I am about 40 mins from Charlotte, so this really helps.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:12am
post #21 of 22

Well, I don't make cheesecake much, and my cheesecake pan is a 10", but that being said, I charge $50 for a cheesecake. They are very costly ingredient-wise.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

TexaxSugar is right...but I was mostly just joking. I'm 15 minutes just getting the ingredients out of the fridge to come to room temp!

Another 5 to prep the pan inside & wrap; start the kettle for the water bath; 5 mins to cream sugar & cream cheese; vanilla, then eggs 1-at-a-time; set in bigger pan; pour in the water...whew!! I need a nap like Mike!

No wonder I'm a hobby baker...I'm too slow - no volume baking in my house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%