I Converted Them!! Victory!!

Decorating By Swede-cakes Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:47am
post #1 of 16

I simply had to share this with people who'd get it...

Yesterday, I met with a young couple who were just wonderful from the get-go. I placed the boxed samples on the table in front of us (window box to see the deliciousness!) as always to build up the anticipation while we talk about designs, flavors, etc.

Ten minutes into it, they both say," Please don't be offended if we scrape the frosting off the cupcakes." Turns out they were self-proclaimed life-long frosting haters. The only one the bride ever ate was the homemade frosting her mom used to make when she was a kid. So I tell them honestly "I won't be offended. Some people don't even like cake, but they order it for their guests. So not to worry!" I served their samples and drinks, and told them I'd just be in the other room so they could eat and chat.

I filled out the contract and calculated figures, came back 5 minutes later and the two cuppie liners looked like they'd practically been licked clean! He says," I hate frosting and I love yours! I've never had anything like it! I want to eat the other two samples right now!!" She agreed heartily. Then she said simply , "It reminds me of my mom's." My eyes got misty when she said that, because hers did. Then they told me that they were going to cancel the other tasting appt. they had next week and asked if they could just book me right then.

As I sit here typing this little story, I realize that the best part to come out of this wasn't the booking, or even converting them to liking frosting icon_smile.gif ...it occurred to me that someday when my kids are grown, they may very well look back on their childhood and think fondly of growing up with their mom's frosting. And that would mean the world to me.

15 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:01am
post #2 of 16

yay!!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:13am
post #3 of 16

Awesome! Btw, what kind of frosting was it (just out of curiosity). I'm a frosting addict, I even love fondant(my own, not wiltonicon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:13am
post #4 of 16

What a great story! What type of frosting do you use?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #5 of 16

I agree, as wonderful as the booking, the rest was so much better.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #6 of 16

That made me cry icon_cry.gif
Okay, I've stopped crying, now give it up, what kind of frosting was it icon_lol.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #7 of 16

I agree, nice story!!

So what kind of icing DO you use????? LOL

My mom used that 7 minute whipped stuff from a package. It's the only kind I remember her fixing. I don't think I could stomach it now. tapedshut.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:02am
post #8 of 16

Yes, yes! Please tell us! I've got 20 dollars that says it was a meringue icing! icon_biggrin.gif

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:03am
post #9 of 16

I loved that story. I hope someday I get that great of a compliment!! But really what was your frosting recipe?

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:06am
post #10 of 16

Wow, that is great! icon_smile.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:10am
post #11 of 16

LOL, I wanna know this frosting recipe that made someone cry with joy!! icon_smile.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:11am
post #12 of 16

Awesome story and very heartwarming. That was the ultimate compliment. You are not just making a wedding cake but one who brings back memories of her childhood with a frosting like her mom's whom she adores. Thats pretty cool thumbs_up.gif

I agree that the art of baking is something to be shared and used to make memories not only with the people who receive the goods but in the meaningful moments when you are teaching your trade to YOUR children.

That is the moment I long for...teaching my passion to my children and hoping they grow to love it as much as I do.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:51am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Awesome story and very heartwarming. That was the ultimate compliment. You are not just making a wedding cake but one who brings back memories of her childhood with a frosting like her mom's whom she adores. Thats pretty cool thumbs_up.gif

I agree that the art of baking is something to be shared and used to make memories not only with the people who receive the goods but in the meaningful moments when you are teaching your trade to YOUR children.

That is the moment I long for...teaching my passion to my children and hoping they grow to love it as much as I do.

Oh boy, you aren't kidding. Last month we were all together celebrating my brother's 50th birthday. My grown nephew, with children of their own, were talking about the weekends I would take them each Christmas to bake Christmas cookies. I would take all my nieces and nephews so their parents could have a free weekend to shop, wrap presents, etc., and I got to have fun with the kids seeing Santa, doing their Christmas shopping and always baking cookies. I told my newphews I was surprised they rememberd, but then I was really touched when they said it's one of their best memories and that they had been talking about it just a week before. It made my heart feel really good.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Oh boy, you aren't kidding. Last month we were all together celebrating my brother's 50th birthday. My grown nephew, with children of their own, were talking about the weekends I would take them each Christmas to bake Christmas cookies. I would take all my nieces and nephews so their parents could have a free weekend to shop, wrap presents, etc., and I got to have fun with the kids seeing Santa, doing their Christmas shopping and always baking cookies. I told my newphews I was surprised they rememberd, but then I was really touched when they said it's one of their best memories and that they had been talking about it just a week before. It made my heart feel really good.

I'm sure it did make your heart feel good icon_smile.gif I think that when a person is gifted in an area....whether it be cooking, baking, sciences, etc...they should share that gift and pass on what they know. You are fortunate that you have a good relationship with your sibs. Thats an awesome idea to bake cookies with your nieces and nephews so that their parents could have some QT and go shopping..and they get to learn a new skill. The best moments I have of my grandmother was her in the kitchen cooking. From her....I learned the basics.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 16

Now, I am sitting on the edge of my seat wondering just what kind of icing this was! LOL!! icon_lol.gif

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm
post #16 of 16

Jeepers! I never got any emails telling me about these responses! I'm sorry, by no means was I being mysterious about my frosting.

Hate to break it to you, it's not Meringue. icon_biggrin.gif It's a recipe I learned years ago, and it's a pretty normal buttercream. But it's not super sweet (due to a secret ingredient...NOW I'm being mysterious!) and is light and creamy. Comes out great every time, smooths with a hot blade and boiling water and is winter white.

cownsj, I love your story! It's funny how folks remember things fondly and you find out that you made a much bigger impression on them than you realized at the time.

Ok, one more story now that we're talking about passing along our love of the craft. Lol! My middle child, a daughter, had the experience of spending until the wee hours with me one night at the bakery where I used to work. She was 5 at the time. My employer gave her a little heart shaped cake from the freezer before she left for the night, and my girl gleefully decorated it at the other end of the work table. At around 11pm, she finally sacked out in a directors chair in the corner, but told me that she had just had the best night of her life. From that point on, she's my steadfast apprentice. On an off day, I'll give her a few cupcakes and teach her how to use the tips. We're making memories!

(edited b/c my mistypes drive me crazy!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%