Has Anyone Had This Problem?

Decorating By aandecakedesign Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 2:09pm by CakeMommyTX

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 9

Every time I use dark brown to make a monkey or a bear, the icing turns greenish color after a couple of hours. This really makes me mad cause it looks terrible and I cant do the cake too far in advanced. I might as well decorate it at the party...lol.

I usually use Ameri color. I emailed the company to let them know if this problem. Just wanted to see if I was the only one.

8 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 9

I've never heard of brown turning green. Although, sometimes when I add black to my chocolate fondant, it turns a weird shade of green.

Anyway, as for brown coloring, I only use Wilton. I use Americolor and Chefmaster for all other colors. But, Wilton is the only manufacturer who doesn't add red to their brown, so it always stays a nice shade of brown without that tinge of red.

Have you tried adding cocoa to your icing instead of brown coloring? I understand that chocolate flavor isn't always appropriate, but you may need to encourage your customers to choose chocolate if that's the best way to make brown.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #3 of 9

It's probably the red fading out of it, and what's left behind is green. I have that problem with Wilton's black...it's made from green and purple, so the purple fades and then it's green.

Diane is right, chocolate is a good way to get brown, or Wilton's brown...I've never had trouble with it fading or turning colors either.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 9

I use americolor brown a lot, and I've never had it do that - yikes! Has this only happened with this bottle of color, or has this happened before with another? I was just wondering if this particular bottle could be the problem?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I use americolor brown a lot, and I've never had it do that - yikes! Has this only happened with this bottle of color, or has this happened before with another? I was just wondering if this particular bottle could be the problem?

i'm wanting to know this too!

I'm with DianeML where I've had it turn a little green after I use my black which seems to be the base of the Americolor black. but it's probably a good thing you contacted them.

Was this only one bottle?

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:32am
post #6 of 9

Its been a while before this time that it happen and I cant remember if I bought another bottle in the mean time. Ive use brown for other things but it seems when I pipe it through the grass tip is when it happens.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:38am
post #7 of 9

Might there be risidual green dye stuck in the holes of the grass tip? I've gone through several bottles of the various shades of Americolor brown and I've never ever had it fade on me.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 9

I had to make a lemur cake once and made the lemur out of fondant. It was dyed gray with Wilton black coloring. The next day it was very blue. I scrapped it and made another. By the end of the party, that one was turning blue too! Someone told me it was an affect from being in the sun. I don't know if that's true, but it's definitely annoying!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 9

I've had purple/violet turn blue and brown go green and black turn purple. So now I mix my own purple and brown.
Equal parts of red and green will give you brown, adjusting the amounts to get the right color.
Blue and Red/pink will give you purple .
For black I use Americolor, although I did order some CK colors just to give them a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%