New York Giants Cake

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm by Sox-n-Pats

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 4

I have a request for a New York Giants cake and not really sure what would look better... I love my fondant and that is what i use on about 95% of my cakes but my husband thinks I should buttercream it using the star tip but I think that would look kinda cheap. What would you do if you were making this cake? I also would like to know what some of you ladies would do as far as the NY in the center and the Giants lettering on the sides... should I use rice paper or can I order this in edible paper and if so where?
TIA!

Brittany
LL

3 replies
bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 4

bump bump bump.. please help!

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 4

You really could go either way, fondant or buttercream. I would not however, use the star tip.

If you go with fondant I would cut out the NY and the endzones in fondant and place them on the cake. You could also pipe the NY, endzones and lines with buttercream.

If you go with buttercream I would ice the cake completly smooth and then do the endzones, logo and lines. Then if you wanted to add texture for the grass I would use the grass tip.

Have you tried doing a regular google search for a "giants football cake" or "giants cake"? You should get several hits which would give you some ideas.

Hope this helps.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 4

Use either fondant or smmoth buttercream.

Do not use the star tip, or even the grass tip.

From personal experience....the star tip never comes out even and looks funky for football fields- it't not like you can hide mistakes- it's all one color and if the lines of stars get wavy, you can really tell..... the yard lines (10, 20, 30 etc) look very odd and you can't get them straight when you pipe them over a star tip or grass tip- they get wavy.....if you star tip the yard lines, the football field gets all smooshed together to fit the 100yds, plus the endzones on-- unless it's a HUGE sheet cake....the emblem in the middle will sit up above the grass with a star tip or grass tip, and not look like it's painted grass- unless you star tip that too and imbed it into the green grass.

I'd do green fondant, then pipe nice straight lines for the yard lines, cut out the numbers, the NY, and the Giants with small cookie cutters, or cricut ,or a knife.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%