Help Requested: Fondant Rolling Pin -- What Do You Use?

Decorating By PDXSweetTreats Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 1:40am by PDXSweetTreats

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, everyone --

I'm just learning to work w/fondant and have several rolling pins. I use the small Wilton plastic one for smaller detail work but also have an extra large aluminum one that I just purchased for rolling out larger pieces of fondant for cakes.

However, I recently used my maple wooden rolling pin for medium-sized piece work and noticed that it's leaving woodgrain-like marks in the fondant (yuk!) Has that happened to any of you, or do you think something is wrong with the rolling pin? (It's also fairly new, my DH purchased it for me this fall for pastry work to replace my really old wooden pin.) I'm curious because I've seen a lot of pros use wooden rolling pins, and they don't seem to have any problem.

TIA for sharing your advice/experiences!

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 10

I use a large marble pin.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 10

I used to use a wooden pin and it didn't leave marks in the fondant. Maybe your rolling pin isn't sanded as smooth as some?

This is what I have now (except mine is the older kind with metal handles) and I love it. http://www.cheftools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=06-0500&source=gs

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:04am
post #4 of 10

I have a small plastic one for small work, a wooden one for regular cake and a large piece of plastic waste pipe (bought for the job) for extra large work icon_lol.gif My wooden pin never leaves marks either.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 10

I use a 3" diameter piece of PVC pipe my DH had cut for me then sanded with fine grit sand paper. i LOVE it!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:35am
post #6 of 10

For covering cakes I use the large (20") white Wilton pin. It's perfectly smooth and nothing sticks to it. Plus it's got a nice weight to it, and the length is great!. I find the ones with handles usually are 20" including both handles. This is 20" of rolling surface, so no marks from the edge of the pin.

For smaller work and gumpaste I use the small wooden one that comes with the Wilton gumpaste kit.

I started out using those silicone ones with handles because I thought things wouldn't stick to them. But stuff does, and because of their matte surface, they also leave a slight matte texture to the fondant. Which is fine if you want that. But I prefer the completely flat and smooth finish the Wilton one gives me.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:37am
post #7 of 10

I have the big and small Wilton ones too but the big one is really hard on my wrists...maybe because I'm not very tall, I don't know. Anyhow, I use that for lifting fondant but not for rolling.

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:45am
post #8 of 10

I have several in differ sizes PVC pipes.. They work GREAT!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #9 of 10

I love the Sil Pin .... Its a silicone rolling pin with handles.

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:40am
post #10 of 10

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the great advice and hearing what you use. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%