Help!! With Contract!?! Anyone Have Examples?

Business By mcmurray20 Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm by FrostedFantasies

mcmurray20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmurray20 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 6

I am supposed to be meeting a lady next weekend who lives like 2 hours away, we we are meeting the in middle.. I told her to protect both of us I am wanting her to sign a contract and give me a $50 downpayment.. but i have no idea what to write in the contract!!!?? I want it to look fancy, sound fancy and not just be 2 lines I agree to pay LOL!

..Can someone help me out please? Does someone have an example of a contract they use?

Or can you tell me things that i forsure need to include in it??

thanks!!

5 replies
summernmicah99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernmicah99 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 6

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630887-contract.html
from a recent forum post... Hth!
Here's another that just popped up... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630887-contract.html lots of info with it!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 6

I usually meet with the client, find out what they want, sometimes give them an estimate of the cost, and tell them that I'll put together a proposed contract and e-mail it to them to read over and consider. Then they can print and sign it and send it to me with their deposit. That way, it gives them time to consider the terms without the pressure of signing at the time of the meeting. It also gives ME time to figure out what I need to charge for some parts of the cake, figure out the best design based on what they've told me they want, etc. This approach has worked well for me.

PM me with your e-mail address if you want a copy of my contract.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with Ruth0209; I like to meet with the potential client. Get a feel for what their taste and expectations and then the next day I send them a detailed estimate and rough sketch via email. Along with that is a simple contract and payment instructions for sending me a signed contract and a check. That way the pressure is off of me to pull a price out of the air and the pressure is off of them to have to decide immediately. The consultation is so much more relaxed that way.
Good Luck!!

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 6

If you pm me I'll try to send you a copy of the contract I use. Did it myself and covers most of the basis. One thing is call your deposit a retaining fee. Some states will require you (if taken to small claims court) to refund a deposit. A retaining fee is to hold the date and is non-refundable (unless you choose-based on their reasoning). I require a $100 retaining fee which is applied towards the cake. This way if you start spending time gathering supplies, molds etc looking for ideas etc, you are covered. I also have a free initial consultation, but my contract states that additional consultations MAY be charged at $25 per hour. I explain to my clients that normal questions, review etc will not be charged,.....I tell the story (true) how a brides mother called me several times a week, I was even involved in choosing the linens for the cake table and how it was to be decorated. I didn't mind, helps showcase my product, however.....I think I ended up spending an extra 15-20 hours consulting on this order and of course never got paid for it except the cake. When you tell a story like that too....it helps client know what you will and won't do, but also that you will not be taken advantage of. I also share with client that the Photographer, Cater, Venue location etc all have contracts that is the way to insure you are dealing with a professional and that you and I have the same understanding about the cake. My contract outlines what layer, what size, what flavor etc. Then they can refer to the contract and not call you every week with self explanatory questions.

FrostedFantasies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedFantasies Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 6

I too, would love to see anyone's contract if they are willing to share.
Right now, all I have an order form which has 50% up front and 50% before final delivery, but THAT'S IT. I've been burned a couple of times and husband swears I am undercharging, so I'm wondering how you word this on the contract, and if it is included with something that outlines the DESIGN of the cake.
Also, do you have the terms of your contract and/or pricing on your web sites? If anyone would be willing to share their web site, that would be awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%