Is Confectioner's Glaze Edible?

Decorating By loopilu Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm by Rusti

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 7

Just want to double check, is all confectioners glaze edible? it smells so toxic!

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, it's edible. Yes, it's made from bugs. The smell completely disappears when the glaze dries. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 7

loopilu, I changed your subject line so that members would have some idea what your question was. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:13am
post #4 of 7

Of course! That's what makes jelly beans (et al) shiny.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:06am
post #5 of 7

I know it is supposed to be edible, but man, the smell is just awful. Here is a link to the kind I have (but have not used!) http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=3855
AND, if you use it, you have to use the thinner to clean your brushes with too (which smells like paint thinner) icon_confused.gif

EDITED to add: OK - it blocked the site I found, just google it, and you can read about it.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #6 of 7

Yup. Mine has FDA approved on it. It is hard to believe...the stuff can be nasty. Don't get it on your clothes or let it harden on your tables.... nasty.... icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 7

I made the home made edible glaze using 50% corn syrup and 50% vodka it worked very well and the vodka smell didn't last. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%