Sifter?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 1:51am by mamawrobin

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 13

So in some of the recipes I see a sifter is used for icing sugar. Do you all find it necessary? I don't have one, yet, but wondering how important it is and if there is a better brand than others, or does it matter?

12 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:42am
post #2 of 13

I like to use a mesh strainer(you can probably get one at the dollar store). I put it over the top of a large bowl and pour in whatever i'm sifting and stir (I'm too impatient to tap!) It works great and can hold 2lbs of powdered sugar.

I'm sure someone can direct you to a good sifter.
Welcome to cc!! icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:55am
post #3 of 13

the easiest way is with the mesh strainer like Tiffany suggested, stir with a whisk, its quick and easy, the other sifters where you squeeze or wind the handle are much too tiresome. I dont sift powdered sugar though.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:06am
post #4 of 13

I definetly find it neccessary. From cakes to buttercream, it definetly effects the texture of everything. I find to use a fine metal sifter is quicker, not to mention cheaper to buy, then an actual sifter.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #5 of 13

I too, use a strainer. I just stick my hand insdie and press the sugar through. Its a lot faster than tapping and less mess because there is less sugar dust flying around.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #6 of 13

I also use a mesh strainer. I actually just found it in my moms cabinet after searching high and low in the stores for one with smaller "holes". Its a tiny one though, 4in or so in diameter, little time consuming and yes, I too stir it, I have ZERO patience.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:53am
post #7 of 13

I sift ALL dry ingredients. I bought an old fashioned sifter with the side handle that turns at the dollar store for $1.89.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:01am
post #8 of 13

I have a five cup sifter, with the squeeze handle from Bed, Bath& Beyond. I've been pretty happy with it, might do the strainer for larger stuff like frosting, but for cake mixes works great. I sift all dry ingredients-makes a huge difference!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:17am
post #9 of 13

I have tried the old fashioned sifters cup shaped with the crank handle and find that they dont work that well for me, then the more modern version with the squeeze grip, I found my hand got to tired, specialy if your sifting large amounts to make butter cream...

Best thing I have found was a strainer, the mesh kind and I just tap the side of it and I am off and running...works like a charm every time and I got it at my local dollar store so not gonna break the bank either icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:25am
post #10 of 13

Yep. A mesh strainer over a bowl works the easiest and the quickest. I've tried tons of sifters and hated them all!

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:29am
post #11 of 13

Wow, this is great! You all convinced me to go to the dollar store this week and get a strainer! Thank you!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #12 of 13

Yes, a sifter makes a lot of difference. I have the squeeze handle, the 5 cup with the handle that you turn, and the strainer type that you hold and shake. Of them all, I definitely like the 5 cup turn handle the best. It's a large capacity and so easy to use.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #13 of 13

Have to say I like the 5 cup turn handle sifter the most. I absolutely hate the one I have with the squeeze handle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%