I Should Be Ashamed Of Myself!!!!!!!!!!

Lounge By KHalstead Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 1:36pm by KHalstead

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 32

Ok, so I was busy making 2 cakes last night and because I was SO caught up in the cakes I failed to realize that we were out of bread for the kiddos lunches this morning. Not only that, but the pb and jelly mixed stuff was gone too. I had regular pb because 2 of the 3 like JUST peanut butter, the the 3rd HATES only PB.........so................(I really should be ashamed of myself).............my 10 yr. old son is at school right now with a peanut butter and raspberry cake filling sandwich on a HOT DOG BUN!!!

Oh, what has happened to me???????????????

I thought it was bad when all I could do was talk about cake to EVERYONE I met, now it's really bad!!!

Can anyone relate to this? Are there times when you get so caught up in cakes that other things that used to be important (and probably should still be important) get pushed aside?

I KNOW my laundry gets piled up for sure when I have a lot of cake orders lol

31 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 32

If your son is like my nephew he will find it different and there for cool. icon_smile.gif All the kids at the table will be jealous! HeHe.

It could have been worse, you could have sent him with a cake and cake filling sandwich.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 32

Haha!

Isn't there a cake here that's made to look like grilled cheese? ...slices of poundcake, toasted, then filled with yellow buttercream...

And yes, I've neglected just about everything in the name of cake, at one time or another. Fortunately, the people in my life understand the passion , and love me anyway. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 32

LOL LOL - it could have been much worse - he could of been sent to school with no lunch - icon_wink.gif

Its ok - they get to 6' 4" - nearly 30 and still remember all the wonderful things you DID DO for them ............................ truely they do.

And when they come to visit - they greet you with a kiss on the cheek - a hug - chat awhile - and then that "your the best mum hug when they leave"......................and never any mention of the time you thought it was 2.15pm when it was actually 3.15pm and you hadn't collected them from school - icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

You will always remember *that raspberry filling in a hot dog bun* - but he won't............................................. icon_smile.gif

Hang in there - you are but one women doing 10000000.5 things.

Bluehue

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 32

OH how I feel your embarrasment icon_biggrin.gif
Thats why my kids have to fend for themselves on busy cake days yes even th eyoungest at 3

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 32

LOL! That is so hilarious! Call it a gourmet sandwich.

The biggest thing that suffers is THE LAUNDRY! I hate folding clothes anyway.

KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 32

so glad you guys understand!! Glad to hear he won't hold it against me in his 30's!!

I always worry that my kids will start to associate "cake" with traumatic things like hot dog bun, cake filling sandwiches..........being picked up late from school (I've done that at least 10 times!......and now set an alarm on my cell phone so it doesn't happen again).......and of course having to dig through a pile of clothes trying to figure out which ones aren't "stained" enough to hurry and put on for school! So terrible!!! My kids wear uniforms so they only have a few outfits to choose from, so laundry needs to be done a couple times each week and I'm SO not good at that! My husband doesn't even bother asking why his clothes aren't clean anymore, he just does it himself.

Last week I put away like 4 baskets of laundry and my DH came running downstairs yelling that someone had broken into our house!!! I was like......what???? What do you mean?? Oh my goodness!!! Then he responded with .........yeah, they made our bed and they put underwear.......IN MY UNDERWEAR DRAWER!!!! AND THEY'RE CLEAN!!!!!

lol........at least he has a sense of humor about it!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 32

Your husband sounds like a GREAT guy. icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

...and of course having to dig through a pile of clothes trying to figure out which ones aren't "stained" enough to hurry and put on for school!...

You do know, don't you, that if you leave laundry in the hamper long enough, it magically becomes clean again on its own!

KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 32

[email protected] to convince my DH of that!! lol

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 32

LOL!! We've all been there...

What I feel guilty about is looking back thru photo albums during the years I was really into caking, and I have dozens and dozens of pictures of my cakes, and almost no pics of my kids! icon_redface.gif

I realized that at my daughter's 14th b'day this year, I took several pictures of her cake from various angles, but not one single picture of her with it. In my defense, I was really not feeling well, and she was lucky I got the cake finished for her. She hates having her picture taken anyway....

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 32

I think kids often look at things like PB&RF on a hotdog bun as really cool! I remember once when I was a kid, all the bread we had was a couple of hotdog buns and my mom told me it was like a sub roll. Cool! icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 32

Yeah...I've been so busy some days I forget to take out meat for dinner...and remember at 4pm in the afternoon..too late to thaw anything....

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 32

My kids had milk yesterday at breakfast for their cereal only because the neighbor had....

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:40pm
post #15 of 32

My kids had a pick your own dinner day a few months ago (I was doing a 2 tier cake with 21 matching centerpiece cakes and a groom's cake).

Yep - I said they could have whatever they wanted for dinner that they could make themselves as long as it wasn't candy. Did they eat cereal for dinner (in front of the tv)? You betcha. Did they love it and ask when they could do it again? Oh yea!

BTW I did forget to get them lunch once. The school fed the kids thumbs_up.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 32

That is hilarious! A hot dog bun and cake filling. Hey, kids are weird, right? So maybe some other kid will think it's cool and trade a PB and J sammy for it! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:50pm
post #17 of 32

I can totally relate to all of it!!!

If my kids' school had school lunches I'd just throw money at them lol....they go to a very small Christian school that only offers little things here and there, not on a daily basis. Like on a random Tues. they'll offer 2 soft pretzels for $1......but it's never a full lunch, so they always have to take lunch.

My DH hates dinners when I have big cake orders, because it's always something quick (whatever you can throw in the oven and pull out and serve).......most everything we normally have is made from scratch in order to save money.......the kids love when we have the high fat, preservative laden stuff like fish sticks, corn dogs, stuff like that. My DH hears the cookie sheet going in the oven and goes "oh no......what's for dinner?" lol

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #18 of 32

My 7 year old would love a sandwich on a hot dog bun. (So would DH for that matter, he always buys the big pack so he can eat the extras).

I went to a school that didn't have a cafeteria either. If you forgot your lunch then they charged $5 for a peanut butter sandwich they made in the teacher's lounge...so half the time we would end up going to the grocery store on the way to school and getting a cup of yogurt to take for lunch. It wasn't other baking that kept my mom from having lunch food around though...she's the absent-minded professor type and we would go to Albertson's almost every day after school but all she would get was her free cup of coffee and then maybe a bag of chocolate chips (to eat while grading papers) and a box of mac and cheese or a cabbage but not stuff for lunches.

My kids both eat school breakfast and then Val has school lunch too...I feel really lazy sometimes but we don't have to pay for school meals so it's a big help to my grocery budget.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:

[email protected] to convince my DH of that!! lol

Did anybody else notice how that came out^^^^^^^^^^ like an e-mail address....that's weird!

Hey, let us know how that PB and raspberry filling sandwich was.....you just may have invented a gourmet lunch. icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm
post #20 of 32

I don't know when I have laughed so much!! That is what we all come to. icon_wink.gif Thanks for sharing!! icon_lol.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #21 of 32

So funny!! My kids love pb&j on buns. I don't know why but they do. Atleast he got lunch!

I forget dinner alot when I'm in cake mode. I can relate!

KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:03pm
post #22 of 32

ok, he came home and said it was "totally the best sandwich I've ever had in my life"...he also noted that the 2 kids sitting on either side of it wanted to know what kind of "jelly" his mom used because it smelled like "heaven".........he told them it was cake filling...and he said they all asked where you buy cake filling because they want THEIR mom's to get some for them too! lol

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:35pm
post #23 of 32

That is funny! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:01am
post #24 of 32

See you really did invent a gourmet sandwich! icon_wink.gif

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #25 of 32

LOL Gourmet sandwich icon_smile.gif

My kids prefer hot dog buns to bread too and I'm sure they'd love cake filling icon_biggrin.gif, although we can't take PB to school - much to my dismay.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:23am
post #26 of 32

ROFLMBO!!!! Oh that is funny!!!!!!!
***You just created a gourmet PB and Filling Twinkie! Yay!***

I keep Marshmallow fluff and a spare jar of Peanut Butter for just such occasions... then the kids actually feel special. Though my son prefers an Elvis Special to a fluffernutter, so i am in trouble when we are also out of bananas.

This year I bought them each a thermos and we always have left overs so that is easy when we run out of bread. I also keep a package of frozen chimichangas or burritos that can be nuked and cut up and thrown in those thermoses.

They are actually happy to have a break from sandwiches.

Mine have also asked for hot dogs... imagine that cold hot dogs with ketchup.
They have also asked that I pack them milk in their thermos and a bag of cereal.
Who am I to say what can't go in a lunch.

I forget to defrost. WE wind up having pancakes or eggs or both for dinner. And they couldn't be happier.

The laundry thing I can totally relate to!!!!

WE used to live with a pile of clean laundry that migrated around our house depending on who was coming over. From the dining room table to my bed or divided into baskets and hid int he closets. Then my kids grew up and it became helpful to have a folding race. Everyone comes and we can get 5 or 6 loads folded and put away in about 15 minutes. Thak goodness they can help with that now. Now more laundry monsters.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:35am
post #27 of 32

Hey khalstead, I think you just created a "super simple semi-homemade" sandwich.

icon_lol.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist. icon_biggrin.gif

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #28 of 32

Pleae keep this thread going I am so taking notes icon_lol.gif
Family hates when I have big cake orders they know Kitchen is off limits when mom is caking and have in the past stood in the doorway and asked for something hehehehehe got them trained icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:33pm
post #29 of 32

when my kids want something and I'm working in the kitchen on a cake (they won't cross the threshold even anymore LOL...I yell "I'm at work, ask me when I get home" they get the point LOL

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:30pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:

when my kids want something and I'm working in the kitchen on a cake (they won't cross the threshold even anymore LOL...I yell "I'm at work, ask me when I get home" they get the point LOL

LOVE it! I am totally using that line! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%