Am I Doing This Wrong??

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all!

When I apply Bake even strips to my pans I do the following:

1. I fill my sink up with cold water and let them soak for about 20 minutes.
2. Take them out still dripping wet.
3. I apply the strips to the cake pans still dripping wet AFTER I already poured the batter in the pans.

Should my strips be "damp" or should they be dripping wet? Do you think this can be a reason why my cake sides are staying so wet?? I notice that my cake sides are never a golden color (using Yellow cake mix), they are always the same color as the cake batter......

Thanks,
=)

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 7

what temp are you baking at?

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 7

When you take the strips out of the water use your index finger and thumb and run them down the length of the strip to remove the excess water from it.
Then you will connect it together on your pan as close to the top of it as you can get it. The idea is to keep the sides of the pan cool so they do not cook much faster that the center has to rise in the center so much. Hope this helps you. thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 7

The strips should be damp but not soaking wet....Check the temp of your oven it may not be the right temp inside even though it says 350 or whatever...

Mikel79 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 7

Hi folks....

I bake at 350 degrees....

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 7

yeah, the strips are supposed to be damp, so i wring them out like i do my washcloths til no water is dripping out. then, i pick up my empty, no greased pans and put them around them and secure with a bobby pin (they stay put perfectly!). i make sure no water got in my pan...then i grease with homemade cake realease and pour the batter in. voila! perfect cakes every time!

it sounds to me like the strips are definitely too wet and because you're applying after the batter has gone in, you may be dripping some of the water into the batter? just a thought!

good luck!

Mikel79 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks folks!!

I think you are all correct. I am going to adjust how much water stays in the strips next time. To think of it, I thought it was odd that my strips would still be damp when removed from the oven.............?????

Hopefully this will help me out....

=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%