Pricing For Hand Molded Figurines

Decorating By cheflene Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm by giggysmack

cheflene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflene Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:38am
post #1 of 8

I have a customer that just loves the pregnant figurines on The Pink Cake Box website. I am getting more requests for hand molded items but not sure if I'm charging enough (in fact, I'm sure I'm not!) I'd be interested in knowing what you would charge for one of these...thanks!

7 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:51am
post #2 of 8

Min. $25 for a person

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 8

Yup.. Minimum $25.00 for sugar... I charge $100.00 minimum for a clay couple...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 8

For one of those preg. ladies, $25 sounds more than fair.......I would also limit the number of colors too and charge extra for anything say..over 3 colors. You'll get customers that want 5 different colored strands of hair to show the girl's highlights off and a shirt that's 15 different colors, etc. Limit the colors, that takes a lot of extra time to mix in all those different colors.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 8

Very timely for me. I've been wondering as well...

cheflene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflene Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the replies - I was thinking somewhere around the $20 area so I was kind of close. Good comment on the limiting of colors; she actually wants to have the figure wearing zebra striped shoes with red bottoms and to be holding a pea pod in each arm with little faces and pacifiers in their mouths (having twins) a big flower showering over them and a few presents scattered around, but they're trying to keep the budget low. Not quite sure how to do that with the amount of detail she's requesting...! icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 8

Give her a price for just the preg lady & then one w/ all those details---b/c that's a lot of details & you'll have to color all that fondant & even small amounts are time consuming. Then let her choose one or the other or somewhere in between

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 8

I charge per hour
Once you have made some you can get a feel for how long it takes you and charge per hour. Be sure to account for your supplies etc. I slightly overestimate because it always takes me longer than I think

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%