Fondant In The Fridge

Decorating By atasteofheaven Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm by artscallion

atasteofheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atasteofheaven Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #1 of 11

can anyone tell me why i shouldn't store a cake with fd on it in the fridge. if i don't store it there how or where would i store it if i have to deliver it the next morning

10 replies
cakesage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesage Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:18am
post #2 of 11

If you store a fondant covered cake in the refrigerator it will build condensation when you take it out- the fondant will form sweat beads. The scientific reason is that sugar will pull in the moisture from the cold air and then release it when at room temperature. Fondant is a preservative for cake and will keep the cake fresh without the need for refrigeration. According to every cake decorating literature that I have read, your cake should be fine if left at room temperature-especially if its only for one day

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #3 of 11

As long as the fillings don't require refrigeration it should be fine left out.
I put all my cakes in the fridge and have no problems with condensation.
Sometimes they do get a little wet but it dries up.

atasteofheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atasteofheaven Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:41am
post #4 of 11

thanks.

Tree02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tree02 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:28am
post #5 of 11

I had the same question thanks for asking...

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:36am
post #6 of 11

I put my completed fondant cakes in a box on the counter, never in the fridge. If there are decorations on the fondant, gumpaste, RI, etc, the condensation wreaks havoc once it comes out. Fondant keeps the cake fresh so no need to refrigerate.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 11

I never refridgerate, they go in an airtight box if not too big, if not then they are just in the cardboard deivery boxes and they last fine. Cake stays fresh and fondant is fine too. I made my own birthday cake on a Friday and did not have the first slice until the Monday and it was perfect. Honest it wont go stale if it is completely covered in fondant.

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 11

i put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge all the time, never had a problem. Maybe my fridge isn't very humid?

leslie2748 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslie2748 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 11

SO GLAD this was brought up icon_surprised.gif)
My cakes too seem to have been fine at room temp...ahem, longer than a day LOL...
But I worry when it's for a large crowd. Can someone give me a good recipe for a filling that DOESNT require refridgeration? I LOVE IMBC...but I do admit to getting nervous. If there is an alternative that is just as yummy, PLEASE share icon_surprised.gif)

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesage

...The scientific reason is that sugar will pull in the moisture from the cold air and then release it when at room temperature...

Mmmm, actually, this is not how condensation occurs, cakesage. Condensation is not coming from inside the cake or from the sugar.

Cold air, by it's nature is dry air. (Winter always has lower humidity than summer. Air conditioned rooms are drier than non air conditioned rooms, fridges are ALWAYS dry, etc.) The reason for this is that water can only exist in the form of a gas in the air (humidity) above certain temperatures. The warmer the air, the more gaseous water it can hold. Once below a certain temperature, the gas changes form and condenses into liquid.

So, when the gas (humidity) in a warm room comes in contact with the surface of a cold cake, the humidity turns to liquid and collects on the cold cake surface.

This is the same thing that happens when condensation accumulates on the outside of your glass of cold pop on a warm day. The liquid that accumulates there is not pop being released from the glass. It's humidity in the air being turned to drops by the cold of your glass.

So, the way to avoid condensation on cakes when fridging or freezing, is to leave them wrapped when you take them out. This way, the condensation accumulates on the outside of the plastic wrap, not on the cake's surface. If the condensation were being released by the cake, you'd find condensation inside the plastic. But you don't.

http://www.diydata.com/problem/condensation/condensation.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonlovebug

i put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge all the time, never had a problem. Maybe my fridge isn't very humid?

Shannon, fridges are never humid. That's why you only see moisture in them under two circumstances:

1. When you put something steaming or wet in them, you may find moisture on teh shelves or walls. But that's because it's condensed on those cold surfaces as a liquid because it can't remain a gas in the air. The air in a fridge is always dry, even if the surfaces inside are wet.
2. When you leave the fridge door open, you get condensation inside the fridge. That's because you are letting the humid air from outside get into the fridge where it condenses on the cold surfaces. The air itself remains dry inside.

Today's science lesson has been brought to you by the letter 'H'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%