Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By snocilla Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm by Shannon1129

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 26

I'm tired of making black fondant! I have to use so much black that my fondant starts changing consistency and starts getting more crumbly. So I have decided to continue to make mmf for everything but black. Everyone seems to think Satin Ice is really good, so I would like to try the pre-colored black. Where do you all recommend getting it from? And how long can I keep it? I don't want to order more than I can use before it goes bad, but the bigger tubs are probably the better value. What do you all think? Thanks!

25 replies
mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 26

Try www.beryls.com they are great to work with.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 26

I know the cake shops in Hampton Roads tend to run a little high - and Global Sugar Arts has sales, plus they give a discount for cc members!

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 26

Thanks to you both!

TNT - does Wine cake and Hobby have it? Would it really be more expensive once you consider shipping? Maybe I'll check this weekend...

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 26

hmmm.... Looks like GlobalSugarArt has a 5 lb tub on sale for $17, but it will cost $14 to ship. So it would be $31. Looks like normal price is $28, so it may or may not be cheapr at Wine and Cake... I wonder how long it will be on sale, and if I can wait until this weekend...

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 26

wow! The 2 lb at wine and cake is $21, and the 5lb is $38. I guess that is a good deal at global sugar... now to figure out how much I need to order...

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 26

Where can I put in that I am a CC member?

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 26

try this website fondantsource.com i have ordered satin ice from them their price was lower than all the others i tried and they also have low shipping fees

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 26

milan - the website came up blocked... can you put spaces in?

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 26

it could be f o n d a n t s o u r c e . c o m and if you use cakecentral as the discount code you get 10% off

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 26

sweet! thanks saycheese! that looks like the cheapest option so far... I actually had found that site, but I didn't know about the coupon code!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 26

I ordered the 5 lb buckets of black, red and green Satin Ice from Global Sugar because I refuse to make red or black and threw in the green for good measure as I wanted a bright Christmas green (kelly green).

I don't do many cakes and I have had my Satin Ice for over 6 months and it is still just fine. I opened the bucket, took out what I needed, twisted the plastic bag tightly to close and put in the bucket upside down with open end in bucket first adn put the cover back on the bucket and made sure it was tightly sealed. It is just like the day I opened it.

When I have used these colors I have added a small amount of my white fondant which makes it easier to roll and less sticky. The colors are so saturated that the white fondant does not really alter the color.

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 26

Thanks Peridot... I think I am going to get the 5 lb. I zoomed in on the picture on one of the sites and the container says it keeps up to 1 year.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #14 of 26

I use fondantsource too- they definitely have the best prices. Every container I've gotten has an expiration date on it- I tend to use it pretty quickly, so it hasnt been an issue, but I've had some buckets come with an expiration date that's only a month or so away.

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:47pm
post #15 of 26

I love my black Satin ice fondant. I have had it for over 6 months and its perfect every time I pull it out. Just keep it wrapped and the lid tight. I hate making black and I pull this out whenever I need it. Oh... just read Peridot's post. LOL.. Ditto, I guess. I like the idea of adding a little white to it. It will make it go farther as well. I bought mine at D & G in FL.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 26

I made black by getting Dark Chocolate Satin Ice and adding a little black food coloring. Still tasted like a tootsie roll!!!

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:00pm
post #17 of 26

wow... looks like cakesbysam has the 5 lb for $19.99 and only $4.50 in shipping...

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullett

Try www.globalsugarart they are great to work with.

Ditto...I agree.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #19 of 26

darn it, i just bought some black satin ice from fon dant so urce ... i didn't know you could get a CC discount!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:35pm
post #20 of 26

dangit! I never knew cc members got 10% off either and I did a lot of ordering this winter...

And I will never make red or black or any dark fondant again either!

Snocilla-yes, as you found out GSA is cheaper than Wine and Cake Hobbies in fondant but not everything. Found that out the hard way so now I go online and check the prices for Wine and Cake as well as Party Cakes N Things. PCnT is closer to my location in Virginia Beach but the customer service is not as good as WnCH (the owners daughter makes me feel uncomfortable, like I am an inconvenience) so I make the drive to Norfolk if I have time. It's a shame to drive away paying customers in this economy.

IntotheOven also good fondant prices.

snocilla Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:01am
post #21 of 26

I've never been to Party Cakes n Things... I live near the Peninsula so wine and Cake is just closer...

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:36am
post #22 of 26

snocilla - party cakes is much smaller - not even a fourth the size of wine and cake - I just go there occassionally since they are about 10 minutes from me and I can do a quick trip at lunch time to get what I need. Plus they have classes.

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:53pm
post #23 of 26

I ordered from f o n d a n t s o u r c e last Fri and got my order Wed. I got four 5lb buckets of dark chocolate (Ordered a 20lb bucket but I guess they substituted with these).

The expiration date on all four is Dec of this year.

I opened one and sampled a pinch and it is YUMMY. I will have no problem eating it (er' I mean decorating with it) all before the expiration date.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #24 of 26

I use the black satin ice as well and absolutely love it! I have ordered it through global sugar art before and shipping was crazy so I called around to the local cake supply places as well as cake shoppes and found a few that will order it with their bulk order so I don't end up paying all that shipping.. they mark it up a little bit but for me it only comes to $20 for the 5lb tub and $67 for the 20 lb icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

snocilla Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:14pm
post #25 of 26

Well guys, I'm saving this post for future reference, but my hubby won't let me spend any money right now. Also, I usually use Wilton black, and I recently bought some Spectrum Super Black. I made black buttercream last night and was amazed at how much less I had to use. So, I'm going to try it on mmf and see if it's any better than the Wilton. And then I'll decide if I still want to order the Satin Ice after payday.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm
post #26 of 26

I love fondant source. Great recommendation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%