Two Children - One Birthday Cake?

Decorating By Jaeger Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 2:22pm by Jaeger

Jaeger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaeger Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 18

I have a cake coming up for two children celebrating their birthday on the same day. One is a girl and the other is a boy so the themes would be very different. Just wondering if anyone has any fun, unique ideas for a dual cake? Just quickly, I've thought of a storybook shape with one side dedicated to each child. There's always the tiered cake with a tier for each child or visually splitting the tiered cake so the front is one theme and the back is another.

Any other ideas? This will be a fun one - I'd like to come up with something really unique! icon_smile.gif

Cheryl

17 replies
eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 18

the storybook cake is a great idea! DO they have any other interests in common? Like Harry Potter or another character? I did a Hogwarts cake for my twin nieces one year...usually they each get their own theme but they both love HP.

watertown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
watertown Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 18

I have twin boys and I usually do one large cake with a common theme (vs. a different idea on each tier, etc.) and that is for everyone. Then I also do a 4" cake for each child, similar to the small smash cakes for a 1st birthday. This allows each child to have their own cake, which can be decorated slightly different, but I still keep in the same theme as the big cake. I put candles in the small cakes only and we sing happy birthday twice. It also allows me to decorate the larger, primary cake without having to figure out where to put candles. As an aside, the boys love having their own individual cakes also.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 18

Hi Jaeger,
Sounds like this one should be a challenge but it sounds like you enthused so Im sure it will be great. I love to hear someone get excited about a challenging cake, thats when you know you love to decorate. Anyways back to the subject. What are their likes, how about doing a round fondant covered cake for each child and put in on the same display board. Make some fondant/gum paste figures that detail each child. For instance if the boy likes baseball decorate the cake like a baseball field and make a few fondant pieces. The same for the girl do a scene and fondant pieces.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 18

Sounds interesting be sure to post pictures, I'm doing one for twin boys the end of the month race car theme. Good luck

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 18

I did one before that was literally 2 different cakes rolled into 1!

It was for 2 boys (I wrote their respective names on the bottom of their respective sides after I took the pic, because I had to call and make sure I had it right LOL)

I literally drew a line down the center and decorated each half differently.

One was into Indiana Jones, the other was into painting and arts and crafts.
LL

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 18

This one was done for 3 people. but 4 occasions. One birthday, one anniversary, one graduation and one going away on a mission trip.
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 18

wow, talk about incorporating different themes....NICELY DONE!!!1

LOVE the necklace...is that gumpaste?

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 18

I did a peppa pig cake for two little girls birthdays and did peppa holding two sets off balloons and two presents and then put both childrens names on.

But if the children are related how about making one large cake look like two jigsaw puzzle pieces and make each piece special to each child.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 18

Oh I love watertown's idea.

kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 18

I saw one on here that was a superhero cake for boys and girls. It was supergirl on one side and superman on the other. Can't find the photo but it was cute!

Jaeger Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks for all of the great ideas!! icon_smile.gif I really like the idea of one main cake and separate mini cakes for the birthday boy and girl. They're young (under 5) and one likes princesses while the other likes trains - very different.

I have a couple of weeks to work out a design but will definitely post a pic of the finished cake. Thanks again for the responses!!

alimae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimae Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 18

I just did one for a 5 yr old girl and 7 yr old boy. Girl side was barbie, boy side bacugan. It was a sheet cake, split down the middle. The children and mom loved it.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:33am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

wow, talk about incorporating different themes....NICELY DONE!!!1

LOVE the necklace...is that gumpaste?

Yes, it was gumpaste. Thanks!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #15 of 18

Trains and princesses - How about Princesses riding on a train? That could be fun!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:30am
post #16 of 18

I love your storybook idea! too cute! You also mentioned a tier cake... a front and back on a tier cake would be cute! You could do the spiral cake so the tracks for the train could come down one side, and leave the other side for the princess theme???

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:03am
post #17 of 18

dods posted this wonderful storybook cake a couple of years ago:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1160562
LL

Jaeger Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:22pm
post #18 of 18

That storybook cake is amazing!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%