Met With A Bride Today...

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 12:57pm by niccicola

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:36am
post #1 of 11

She told me this was her 2nd tasting appointment. The 1st was with a baker whom I have never heard of. She has no website. The bride told me that she had shown this baker a picture of the cake she wanted.. which was square. The baker says she only makes round cakes. So the baker pulled her album out and every picture looked very old school..80's, 90's. The baker said that she uses the plate and pillars. No stacking just the pillars. Oh and she had no samples with her. Her one and only flavor was DUNCAN HINES YELLOW!!! icon_confused.gif Apparently this baker was referred by a florist.

10 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 11

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif It's people like her that make me feel good about charging what I charge. Heck, makes me want to go raise my prices! icon_biggrin.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #3 of 11

Heck that's good for your business! She must have thought she died and went to cake heaven when she met you!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:50am
post #4 of 11

Some people are set in their ways.

I believe I do pretty creative work, but I had a customer ask me to visit a local cupcake shop and steal her ideas to use on his cupcake order so he didn't have to pay her prices.

It's all relative.

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:54am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

Some people are set in their ways.

I believe I do pretty creative work, but I had a customer ask me to visit a local cupcake shop and steal her ideas to use on his cupcake order so he didn't have to pay her prices.

It's all relative.

So, what did you say to him? I don't know how I would take that. Well, actually I avoid cupcakes. I send them to someone else. But still. That seems a little insulting.

tarheelgirl Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

It's people like her that make me feel good about charging what I charge. Heck, makes me want to go raise my prices! Very Happy

EXACTLY!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Well, apparently the bakers mom used to do wedding cakes. How much you wanna bet those pictures were from her moms previous cakes.

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 11

Ohhhhh, her MOM used to do cakes. Knowing that and seeing her dated cakes, as a bride, that would make me run.

niccicola Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:02am
post #8 of 11

that whole situation was a mess LOL

I told him that we are two different businesses that specialize in different things. I am not a copy machine and will not steal her ideas. (though, some of her cupcakes are cute).

To me, it's one thing if a client asks me "hey, I like this picture, can you do something like this?" because i take creative liberties and do my own spin it.

It's another to TELL me that you've just spent two weeks going back and forth with the bakery and when it comes time to sign the contract, you backed out because you weren't happy with the price. Then, ask me to visit her shop to see what she's doing so I can replicate it.

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #9 of 11

Nicciola you are a saint, cause that person was tacky, tacky, tacky.

tarheelgirl Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:29am
post #10 of 11

WOW! That was tacky.. Did you take the order? I would charge him double! =)

niccicola Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 11

no, he had his secretary call and tell me "they can't decide what they want to do"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%