Fondant And Buttercream.

Decorating By ErinSalt21 Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm by prterrell

ErinSalt21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinSalt21 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 10

I really dislike fondant, but I love how it is very smooth and makes a cake look amazing. But I can't get used to the stuff and I'm planning on making my daughter her first birthday cake and I'm going to use just buttercream icing. I'm going to make it very smooth. But I still want to decorate with poka-dots. Is it possible to use fondant cut outs and put it on buttercream? This sounds like a stupid question lol, but I'm just not 100% sure. I don't want to start something and it not work. I'm sure I need to put the dots on a.s.a.p, but I just don't know if it's going to look good. Is there anything else I can do to get poka-dots that looks like you put work into them. I'm sure it's not that easy just to do on plain icing. Or should I just bite the bullet and do fondant and just have my guests peel it off if they dislike it?

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 10

Yes, you can stick fondant cut-out onto plain iced BC. If the BC has crusted, very lightly brush the backs of the cut-outs with water and they will stick. Your other option is to pipe on dots.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:50am
post #3 of 10

Oh yeah - I have put all kinds of fondant decorations on BC - no problem! I actually haven't been using a crusting BC, but a FMBC, and they stick great!

ErinSalt21 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 10

preterrell-I completely forgot about just piping on dots. As you can tell I'm new. Baking has always been a hobby, just never really pursued, but I would love to start doing it more and possibly start a business if I'm good. I really love to do it and it sparks the most interest out of any hobby I have. I was thinking fondant poka-dots might not look that good on just a BC cake. I mean maybe, but I think just piped on dots would be more appropriate. Thank you very much.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 10

I think fondant dots would probably look better. Both my zebra cakes are buttercream with fondant stripes, and I love the way it looks. I don't put anything on the back either. It sticks to the buttercream just fine on its own.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 10

Fondant accents on a buttercream cake look great. I think they'd probably look nicer than piped dots because they'd be flatter.

What don't you like about fondant? Taste, price, texture, etc? And have you tried making your own?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 10

Nasty fondant=nasty fondant. Use/make good fondant, and let's slowly get the world to realize that it can be good....one of my personal missions.

ErinSalt21 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 10

Texas Rose- I don't care for the texture or taste. I have made marshmallow fondant. It's the only kind I have tried. I would prefer to make my own. I know there are different kinds of fondant. Which is your favorite? The MMF wasn't too bad, but it's still a texture thing.

Jamie- My two year old loves it! You have one follower so far. Lol. It's honestly not bad, I would eat it, it's just I don't care for the rubbery feeling and the chewing. But to make a cake beautiful then it's worth it. I say just peel it off. It doesn't really affect the cake itself. Plus it's all going into one place.

I do have mixed emotions on it! Lol. As you can tell.**

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 10

I make MMF too. I always flavor it, either with clear vanilla or creme bouquet or with the lorann oils. Also, the more you use it, the thinner you get used to rolling it, until it's a barely noticeable layer on top of the buttercream.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm
post #10 of 10

I'm not a huge fan of the texture of fondant as a cake covering (it's great on sugar cookies, though!), but I love to use it for decorative elements. I make IMBC, which is so nice and rich and buttery and creamy and melts deliciously in your mouth. I like icing to do that. I don't want to chew it. So, yeah, I don't cover most of my cakes in fondant, but for certain looks I will. All the kids in my family and a lot of my friends love to eat the fondant, so really it's a personal thing. I use Satin Ice btw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%