Top Tier Wedding Cake Prices

Decorating By ginsum Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 2:28am by catlharper

ginsum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginsum Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 9

I am fairly new to pricing wedding cakes. Do you charge for the top tier that will not be served? If you do, do you charge the same price per serving as you do for the rest of the cake? I was told that you do not charge for it and I need other's input.

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 9

Who told you not to charge for it? Absolutely charge for it! Same price per serving as rest of cake.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 9

you need to do your research, including the impact on your business of which route you choose to take.
i have seen people who do it free, a guesture of good will/ advertising!
i have seen people who do it 'free' but build the cost into the rest of the cake.
i have seen people who charge the standard price (that would be me, and most people i think - also, i dont think so many people save the top teir now, as usually, its not fruit, and there are no plans for a baby - the christening being when its traditionally eaten, at least in the uk).
i have seen people charge standard price, but do a free/ discounted cake for the aniversary.
xx

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 9

It's a tier that I have to mix, bake, ice, and decorate. I absolutely charge for it, and I price it the same way I price my other tiers.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 9

I too charge for it!

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:10am
post #6 of 9

Yes, you charge for it. You spend your time and money to make it.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #7 of 9

I know where you're coming from with this question.

Years ago tradition was that the top tier was frozen and eaten on the 1 yr Anniversary.

My top tier was "gifted" to us and we did freeze and attempt to eat it on our 1 yr Anniversary, but it was gross.....we didn't wrap it well enough.

I think over time this tradition has faded out a bit.

I include the top tier in my total # of servings needed and charge the same amount as the rest of the tiers.

I offer my couples a free 6" basic 2 layer (untorted) buttercream filled and iced white or chocolate cake on their Anniversary.

If they would rather freeze their top tier and it's a 6" then I gift that tier to them and they don't get the free cake on their Anniversary.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:10am
post #8 of 9

I charge for the top tier, but I charge a flat fee for it, which is a slightly discounted price compared to charging per serving for it. Most people in my area still choose to keep and freeze the top tier of the cake. I know of people who do not charge for it, and my mentor did this when she did wedding cakes, but I agree that you should get paid for it since you are making and decorating it.

I agree with brincess, one way or another it should be built into the price of the cake! Good luck!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #9 of 9

I do charge for it but as a courtesy I offer a small box so it can be boxed up for the Bride and Groom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%