Need Ideas...drawing A Blank.

Decorating By Oklahomasweetie Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 10:45pm by Oklahomasweetie

Oklahomasweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oklahomasweetie Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 9

I would like to start by saying I am not a licesened or experiened cake-wizard. icon_smile.gif But I could use some help. I am a high school teacher and I will occassionaly make (and donate) cakes for fellow teacher's birthdays and such.

Here is my dilemma, I am making a cake for one of the teacher's birthday but have been unable to find out very much about her likes and dislikes. Her husband (who is also a teacher and asked me to make the cake) left it up to me and her son (who is a student) says she has NO interests what so ever.

All the information I have is that she likes the color blue, is turning 52, she is not very "girly" and wants a spice cake.

Any suggestions on cake ideas would be greatly appreciated. The cake doesn't not have to be a large one. They are only having between 15-20 guests.

Also, i have been searching the recipes for a good spice cake but haven't come up with one yet. Suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance!

8 replies
cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know what your talents are being a, "Newbie". But, I rec'd so many nice compliments, from the person that ordered this cake, and from most that see it, as well. I had full reign.(Which I Love)

It's a present styled cake and if you don't want to have the sides slanted inward or the top slanted downward it would be fine. Just use the fondant accents along with a bow. It's very age appropriate. My MIL loved this cake and she's in her 70's. I would use maybe three variations of blue to add some depth.

Anyway, just a thought.

I don't have a spice cake recipe. But, if you have recipe that is tried and true add the spices that would be in a spice cake such as cinnamon, nutmeg, mace or whatever flavors you like.

Good luck,

cakeymom
LL

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:54am
post #3 of 9

What about something teacher related - like a book cake. You could even get a pan (Wilton has one) to simplify things. Then you could make it blue.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:05am
post #4 of 9

I like the gift box idea also.

Here is a teacher b-day cake that I did.
LL

BethHansen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethHansen Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:55am
post #5 of 9

I really like the Buttermilk Spice Cake Recipe submitted by momma28 in this post:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603219-.html

I have even used it several times as a base for other flavors, leaving out the spices and adding other flavoring, with great success.

Good luck!

Oklahomasweetie Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the input. Very cute cakes. And thanks for the link to the recipe, too.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 9

I'm giving sugar tiles a go for a cake. You can use the Wilton silicone (brownie bites i think) pan to make the tiles. I'm doing two cakes next week using the tiles, one blue and one pink cake. It's pretty but not too girly. The tiles are not hard to make, I just used regular sugar. My test ones got a little bumpy after a day or so, but smoothed out with a wet paintbrush. Just an idea. Here's a pick of the cake that was made on cake challenge with sugar tiles.

Here's the recipe I used:

http://www.baking911.com/recipes/candy/hard3.htm
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 9

just wanted to add a teacher cake I did.

Also, if she likes "blue" then just google "Blue cakes" or check out something like that on CC in the galleries. See what you come up with? Maybe something will hit you.

Have you figured out what shape cake you're doing?
LL

Oklahomasweetie Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 9

KHalstead: I will probably do a square cake, just because I like doing square. icon_smile.gif Unless something else just pops out at me. Your cake is absolutely adorable. I may borrow your idea for my son's Kindergarten teacher's birthday.

Tinygoose: I love the look of the sugar tiles. Thanks for the link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%