So I May Have Found My Perfect White Cake Recipe But....

Baking By jenmat Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm by jenmat

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 7

I offer white cake with a variety of "mix-ins" for my menu like strawberry, raspberry or caramel. I use doctored cake mix, but have been researching and studying to become a from-scratcher.
The white cake recipe is amazing, but it is a really light and liquid batter, so when I stir fruit or caramel in, it just sinks. Any ideas to thicken up the batter a little?
Not sure if I'm asking the question correctly or not, so I apologize if I'm being vague....

6 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 7

No but what about thinning your swirl ins. Say mix some with some of the cake batter and then make a marble cake with that and plain batter...?

jenmat Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 7

hey, that's a good idea! THanks! My other idea was to put in pudding mix, but that may change the whole chemical make-up. I'll try your suggestion.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 7

Do you whip your whites, and then fold them in? If yes, I would thin out the add ins like suggested. Then I would add them first before the whites. After adding then fold in the whites. Because what's going on is the added mixing is deflating the whites.

Mike

jenmat Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 7

actually, it starts with foamed whole eggs, then adding granulated sugar, then adding a heated buttermilk and butter mixture. It comes out the texture of a cake mix cake, which to me is amazing. Its kind of against everything I've read, but it really seems to work- but those mixins just seem to sink.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

actually, it starts with foamed whole eggs, then adding granulated sugar, then adding a heated buttermilk and butter mixture. It comes out the texture of a cake mix cake, which to me is amazing. Its kind of against everything I've read, but it really seems to work- but those mixins just seem to sink.

I'm sorry My reading isn't so good today LOLOL. I thought it was deflating the mix. I like to use a knife to "drag" the filling through the batter. It seems to keep it afloat a tad better.

Mike

jenmat Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 7

That's ok- doesn't deflate at all, just sinks. I did use the knife like I usually do, but maybe I used too much fruit to begin with. maybe just little drops. I'm going to get this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%